Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Reading Light

We find reading inside our RV to be difficult because there just isn't enough light. We've set a 120 V light on a corner of the sofa behind us, but are not happy with this set up.

Has anyone else added a reading light by replacing one of your 12 v lights with something like a light on an extendable arm? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	50302  
mst0neham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
The light directly overhead of the end of your couch ...under the cabinet ...appears to be an spot type that can be moved/aimed. Those work well for reading in our coach. Ours came with 1383 spots, and after some searching/trying out we found an led that works well for us.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
The light directly overhead of the end of your couch ...under the cabinet ...appears to be an spot type that can be moved/aimed. Those work well for reading in our coach. Ours came with 1383 spots, and after some searching/trying out we found an led that works well for us.
X2 those spot light put out a good bit of light.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agrese with using the spot light for reading. Atleast thats what I do, the wall fixtures aren't very bright.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
I have a lamp that I bought at Costco years ago, it is a 'sunlight' lamp heavy base and has a plug in the base for another lamp ...guess you could hook up 2 for end tables in case you don't have another plug.
It takes 27 Watts and is adjustable. I got it to give more daylight to my eyes and for sewing, and other handwork.and for reading I have to say it is quite incredible. I was not expensive and is made by 'Lights of America.

I have also exchanged many permanent lights (even florescent) to the 'daylight'
spectrum as it is much easier on the eyes and does not cause fatigue the way regular ones do. I found a lightbulb type daylight bulb and have it in the entryway, I really like them and solvs a lot of low light issues without a lot of 'cost replacement' just make sure when buying these lights they say daylight or sunlight, some may also have 'natural light' marked on the package'.

This is similar in the style I bought, but not exactly, however it does have full spectrum daylight and about the same price I paid in Costco.
Some on their site are more elegant and pricey but this works for me and has for nearly 12 years (same bulb /w/ base switch, the one in article is touch...

Happy shopping I sincerely recommend them...

http://www.esplighting.com/1147.html
Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In our Bounder, I put a regular table lamp on the small built-in cabinet next to the sofa. By the way, there is an electrical outlet on the side of that cabinet; you don't have to plug stuff into that "ceiling" outlet and have cords hanging down. (We found that outlet when we traded out the extend-a-lounge sofa for a La-z-boy.)
Old 11-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same coach and those lights over the sofa do work well. On our 14 they don't swivel like yours. I wish ours did. The wall sconce between the sofa and the table works well and then I would put one on the table/cabinet on the left side of the sofa.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I added another light in between the existing lights mounted in the bottom of the overhead cabinets. I did this on over both couches.

Pretty simple task. If you remove (drop down) the existing lights, you can easily see where to tap into the wires to power the new light. Rather than add a new flush mount light that would require a very large hole, the new light is surface mount. It has a brush chrome body and matches the brush chrome bezels on the existing lights.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote