RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #1

Rear AC poor air flow '06 discovery 39L?????

On my 06 discovery 39L the rear Ac gets cold but it seems that I get very little air flow in the bedroom and it's harder to keep the rear of the Rv cool, I don't know if they should be the same but the front Ac blows a lot stronger, as anyone out there experience the same or do you think its normal to have lower air flow in the headroom. Thanks in advance Joe

ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There should not be any appreciable difference in the perceived air flow. Pull down the interior trim and start looking for a problem like plugged filters or evaporator coil.

Ken

Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't have the "cool blast" feature activated by any chance? That makes more air blow straight down from the A/C and reduces the air flow through the vents.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
You don't have the "cool blast" feature activated by any chance? That makes more air blow straight down from the A/C and reduces the air flow through the vents.
My rear Ac doesn't blow down only the front one does the rear only blows true the vents
Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe--are you running on generator or are you plugged in at a campground? I assume you have 50 amps available to run both units effectively?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
On my 06 discovery 39L the rear Ac gets cold but it seems that I get very little air flow in the bedroom and it's harder to keep the rear of the Rv cool, I don't know if they should be the same but the front Ac blows a lot stronger, as anyone out there experience the same or do you think its normal to have lower air flow in the headroom. Thanks in advance Joe
Our 2012 Discovery 36J has a similar "problem". While the front of the coach is great, the rear has limited air flow and cooling. There are only 2 outlets in the bedroom area of the coach, however, compared to a dozen or so in the front. Design/engineering issues?
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Our 2012 Discovery 36J has a similar "problem". While the front of the coach is great, the rear has limited air flow and cooling. There are only 2 outlets in the bedroom area of the coach, however, compared to a dozen or so in the front. Design/engineering issues?
On our DSDP the ducting runs the whole length of the house so even if only one heat pump is on the air still flows into both the living and bedroom areas. There are only two or three outlets/inlets in the bedroom area on ours. Didn't seem to be a problem with our 13,500 heat pumps even in Yuma.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #8

You are not alone....my discovery does the same thing. I thought that I had a problem exclusive to my unit.
Plane nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Our 2002 37A Pace Arrow does the same thing.I found that if I partially close off the front vents it forces more air to the rear.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #10

Well at least it makes fell a little better that I'm not alone with this problem it's probably a not so good desine not a failure to something. Thanks to all for the answers that I got and the advices. Joe
Old 07-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it's like my 2009 I had the same problem 2 rows with 4 vents in each row. I drop the a/c cover inside and notice that the air blows straight down and the air runners came out the side. I took a piece of sheet metal and made a 45% bend and mounted it up inside , now when the air blows down it's forced into the runners It doubled my air flow in the bed room.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
I had the same issue beginning of the summer season. Took it over to Blue Moon RV service. They found that the inside of the front air plenum of my condensor was clogged with partcles of foam (the same foam that makes the ductwork) and he took a vacuum crevice tool up inside the air filter opening (remove the filter and the screen, of course) and reached up and vacuumed all the crud off of it with it running, which kept it all up there inside and against the condensor.

I was SHOCKED that it improved the airflow so much! Much better cooling and all was well.

So look up inside your a/c unit with the filter off, see if you can see anything up inside on the front of the condensor in the air plenum.....

Just a thought. Might be the problem, and could save you the 170 it cost me....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #13

I'll be taking it a part tomorrow, thanks for the tips.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I complained bitterly about the inability of our rear A/C to cool the bedroom, so much so they ended up replacing what I suspect was a perfectly good A/C unit just to try and satisfy me (it didn't help). I think the problem is poor duct design and as mentioned in an earlier post, there are only two outlets in the bedroom and nine in the living room. The air takes the path of least resistance and ends up "supplementing" the front two A/C units.

I have found that if the other units are running at the same time the bedroom will cool, but who wants to run all the A/C units at night when the bedroom is the only room occupied? The solution I finally landed on was to leave the center unit on a constant low fan setting. This seems to help "push" the cold air back into the bedroom. I've also closed off the rear bath outlet, the center bath outlet and I've partially closed off the hallway outlets, forcing more air out the bedroom outlets. Its kind of similar to your home system. When it was installed there were probably some butterfly valves installed in the heating/cooling runs so the system could be "tuned".

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote