Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Rear Camera Cable

Has anyone had to replace the cable to the rear view camera on their rig?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Z View Post
Has anyone had to replace the cable to the rear view camera on their rig?
It's, at least, a four hour job for those who know how to and usually done through a conduit/channel, to the right or left of windshield with a snake.
I have done this twice, from under class A and back to rear clip channel and up to camera.
At first, I tried to pull through ceiling cabling and found this to be impossible for me to do.

2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I figured pulling through the roof would not work. I was hoping to hear that the cable is in a chase and I could pull the new one with the old cable. Did you remove the cover on the windshield post?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pat,

Yes I did and I could insert a snake through and pull new cable up into cabinet or to the dash.
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks I guess I will figure on making a day of it.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pat,

What happened to the original cable?
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #7

The monitor would flicker and go dark if I turned it off and on again it would USUALLY come back on. I bought a new color monitor and camera but the picture was black and white and did the same thing. RV Cams was nice enough to take the camera back and bench test it, it was fine. I connected the camera directly to the monitor and it was fine also. When I cleaned the contacts in the original cable and reinstalled it, the same thing. I called Lazy Days and they said they have replaced a lot of cables for the same issue. I can;t say enough about dealing with RV Cams, they were great and patient while working through the problem.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The monitor would flicker and go dark if I turned it off and on again it would USUALLY come back on. I bought a new color monitor and camera but the picture was black and white and did the same thing. RV Cams was nice enough to take the camera back and bench test it, it was fine. I connected the camera directly to the monitor and it was fine also. When I cleaned the contacts in the original cable and reinstalled it, the same thing. I called Lazy Days and they said they have replaced a lot of cables for the same issue. I can;t say enough about dealing with RV Cams, they were great and patient while working through the problem.

I understand, good luck Pat
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
This is a common problem with Fleetwoods of this era, had my cable replaced 3 years ago having issues again, dealer can't get it to duplicate for the warranty company so it's no go. they are a piece of crap.
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
This is a common problem with Fleetwoods of this era, had my cable replaced 3 years ago having issues again, dealer can't get it to duplicate for the warranty company so it's no go. they are a piece of crap.

Henderson,

My system worked well until I was out of warantee and Fleetwood was taken over so I don't think I had a cable problem but the monitor would not fire up even though it was receiving power and good ground.
I went to a cabled 9" color monitor with CCD camera.
The camera fits into the original housing but I needed to bring power to it, as well as the new cable.

2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #11

I had that same issue the monitor would go in and out from day one but could not be duplicated. Talk to Tim at RVCams.com he may be able to offer a suggestion.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have replaced a half dozen cables. The original ran through a chase at the corner of the roof. It is way too much trouble and time to go back thru there. To replace, you go under the coach. You have to very careful of heat and suspension movement. These cables are easily melted.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #13

Thanks, I have come to the conclusion that going under is the way to go.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #14

I had trouble with mine, sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Sometimes it was dark, sometimes it had diagonal lines. Finally figured out it was the cable ends that were bad. I cut off the connectors on both ends of the cable, monitor, and camera, and hard wired it together. After a year plus it still works great. Total cost was zip as I already had the solder and electrical tape.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera