Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Refrigerator Operating temperatures

We have a Dometic side-by-side in our Bounder and on our recent trip our refrigerator was operating at too high a temperature, but here ere the details:
1. Freezer maintaining everything fine - all food and ice frozen and making ICE
2. Setting on #5
3. Outside temp 75
4. Inside temp - 78
5. Refrigerator temp 50.
6. Frig 1/2 full and not packed at all - this was also 3-4 days into the trip and running on electric.

It is under warranty yet so I am taking it in - but what should I expect to hear?
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

The Norcold in my Bounder has two fans mounted on the rear of the unit. They both went for some reason ( probably an electrical spike )and I experienced the same conditions as you posted.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought I heard a fan problem - I caled the dealer & they claimed it didn't have a fan. But we'll see.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Dometic double door fridge freezer in our 2013 Thor Challenger. With a setting of 4, the LCD reads 34 degrees fridge temp and ice cream in the freezer is rock hard. We have a double fan stack high up in the vent column. In warm weather we can hear the fans kick in - kind of a high pitched slightly annoying hum/whine. Do you have 2 fridge access panels on the outside? The fans on our coach are behind the upper panel.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes there is an upper panel which I opened and inspected - but I didn't see any fans. Probably should have said the fridge is in the slide.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
Yes there is an upper panel which I opened and inspected - but I didn't see any fans. Probably should have said the fridge is in the slide.
The fans could be up closer to the roof. You might need to remove the roof vent and look down the opening. Our fridge is also in the slide.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

I believe if your refrigerator is on a slide, it will have fans to move the hot air out of the compartment. If they are not running, you will experience similar problems that you describe. When you remove the upper vent cover, You should be able to see a temperature sensor on the right hand side of the cooling unit. If you clip a jumper across the sensor and the refrigerator is turned on, the fans should come on.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #8
Community Administrator

His refer is in the slide. FW installed a piece of sheet metal in my compartment to assist the air flow as per Norcold ( I think ). The fans are behind that and cannot be serviced without pulling the unit into the MH.
This is what it looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1659046448.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	40145

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Clifftail,

That sheet metal mod is interesting. Looks like it also blocks the temperature sensor for the fans. On servicing the fans, we were able to replace the fans on a friend's 04 Discovery 39L by sliding the refrigerator into the coach about 10 inches, then reaching up to the old fans, removing the attaching screws and pulling the fans down to replace them. It was a bit tight but doable. We only had to remove the LP line which made the job a bit easier..

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes Cliff, that looks like what I saw when i opened that vent - it actually didn't look like it would facilitate air flow to me.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So what temperature should the refrigerator be able to maintain in normal summer weather?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
So what temperature should the refrigerator be able to maintain in normal summer weather?
Ambient temp here in Oregon is 68 today and the fridge is showing 34 degrees on setting 4.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #13

Before our norcold cooling unit failed, we ran the unit on a temperature setting of 7. Refrigerator temps were ~38 degrees, freezer temps were ~14 degrees. Ice cream was not rock hard. Those temps were collected here ib Louisiana in the summer time, air temps in the mid 90s. We replaced the cooling unit with an Amish cooling unit. With the Amish cooling unit we run the temp setting at 3, refrigerator temp ~33 degrees, freezer temp 0 degrees. Ice cream is rock hard. Note, the only change is the cooling unit. All the rest of the refrigerator is the original Norcold components. Hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those temps are what I would have thought - mine ran 50 degrees 3 straight days with the temps no higher than mid 70's. It is at the dealer now - of course the temp has gone down to 34 with the frig empty and highs in the 50's. But at least you've confirmed something is wrong!

Tags
refrigerator