Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Repair or Replace Water Pump?

Hi all,

It's me again with my "new" 2013 Bounder 35K. I'm wondering if there is something to repair or if I should just replace my water pump. The pump pressurizes the system and shuts of appropriately. However, as soon as I run some water, the pressure quickly drops, and the pump can't maintain a reasonable flow rate while the water is running. I'm judging "reasonable" by comparing it to my 2003 Coachmen 30-foot Class C that I had for 15 years with no water flow rate complaints.

Does this sound like a typical problem with a coach such as my Bounder? Would a better pump help? Or does it sound like the pump just needs some maintenance? If a new pump is called for, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
MathComp
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #2

Check the screen at the water pump input. That's a simple maintenance item that may resolve your issue.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathComp View Post
Hi all,

It's me again with my "new" 2013 Bounder 35K. I'm wondering if there is something to repair or if I should just replace my water pump. The pump pressurizes the system and shuts of appropriately. However, as soon as I run some water, the pressure quickly drops, and the pump can't maintain a reasonable flow rate while the water is running. I'm judging "reasonable" by comparing it to my 2003 Coachmen 30-foot Class C that I had for 15 years with no water flow rate complaints.

Does this sound like a typical problem with a coach such as my Bounder? Would a better pump help? Or does it sound like the pump just needs some maintenance? If a new pump is called for, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
MathComp
Doesn't take long for tearing one down and for cleaning and lubricating.
I've done it many times and have never had to buy a new one, as yet.
The things seem to be pretty much bullet proof.
With our last gasser, I installed a discarded pump, given by a friend and after doing same.
Managed to get the old one going again, as well and left it for a spare in the coach, when sold.
With our present coach, I made some adjustments when we got it and it has always had more pressure than the shore line can deliver, for whatever reason.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to look into it tomorrow.

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 10-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Take the screen out and rinse it with water, cleaning any stuff out of it/ Worked for me on my 2005 35E Bounder.
grumpypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #6

Does this low flow/pressure occur at ALL faucets/shower/toilet ????

Clean aerators on faucets

Do you have a whole house water filter....new cartridge
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #7

So, with an RV dealership only about 3 miles away and a customer appreciation sale going on, I decided to replace the pump with a new one. It seems like the new one is a little better, but it's still not great. My meter reads 13 volts at the pump when the pump is disconnected. Once the pump stops running, pressure is quite good when I open any spigot, but then it dies down. It seems like the pump can't keep up with the demand. The pump is a Sureflo 4008-101-E65. It claims a 3.0 GPM flow rate. I haven't tested that, but it's hard for me to believe it could come close to filling a gallon jug in 20 seconds. The screen is clean and there is currently no filter in the filter housing. Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 10-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #8

Double check to make sure the faucets in the outside utility compartment are both off. it's possible for the water to backflow thru the outside shower attachment if the faucets are on and the shower head is off.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Double check to make sure the faucets in the outside utility compartment are both off. it's possible for the water to backflow thru the outside shower attachment if the faucets are on and the shower head is off.

Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately, those faucets are indeed off.

After owning a 30-foot Class C for 15 years, is this just something I have to get used to in a larger Class A?

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 10-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #10

May I now suggest that you get a copy of the owners manual for the new water pump. The last pump I worked on had adjustments for the pressure and the internal bypass in the pump. The manual should provide you with the necessary information on settting up the pump, there were also some good tutorials on youtube for pump adjustment.By any chance did you check the screen on the pump you removed? Your initial symptoms sounded exactly like what happened to us awhile ago when my screen clogged.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #11

Do you have a "blue" pressure tank? Is the air pressure set correctly?
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
May I now suggest that you get a copy of the owners manual for the new water pump. The last pump I worked on had adjustments for the pressure and the internal bypass in the pump. The manual should provide you with the necessary information on settting up the pump, there were also some good tutorials on youtube for pump adjustment.By any chance did you check the screen on the pump you removed? Your initial symptoms sounded exactly like what happened to us awhile ago when my screen clogged.

I checked the screen before I bought the new pump. It looked fine, but I rinsed out the screen and housing anyway, before using the same screen and housing on the new pump. (The new pump didn't come with its own.) I don't think the new pump's owner's manual had any information about adjusting any settings, but I'll look again and check Youtube, too. I also thought it might be a good idea to check for any obstructions in the valve that appears to switch between antifreeze intake hose and water tank. I'll post again after I've done these things.

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 10-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Do you have a "blue" pressure tank? Is the air pressure set correctly?

I don't think I have one of those.

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 10-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #14
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a different coach, but I remember something similar happening to me. This happened last spring, so I may not remember all of the details. It is a Fleetwood product, so there may be some similarities.

IIRC, I filled the fresh water tank for the first time after I purchased my new-to-me coach. The water tank was empty when I took possession. I had to open a valve in the wet bay to get water to fill the tank. But, I did not close the valve after filling the tank. The water pump seemed to work similar to what yours is doing. Weak and intermittent spurts instead of a steady stream.

Somewhere along the line, I decided that maybe I should try closing the fill valve. The pump seemed to work fine after that. Now, I get a strong, steady stream of water.

Not sure why, but closing the fill valve seemed to do the trick.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, repair, replace, water, water pump