Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Replace B&W Panasonic backup cam?

I have been contemplating replacing my monochrome backup system and after looking at mine found that it apparently is powered over the coax. It's a Panasonic GP-RV112 monitor (and an RV111 camera I'm guessing) and when I looked at the camera I only saw an RCA composite video coax.... no additional wires for power. On the back of the monitor, it has a coax connector and a rectangular 32-pin nylon connector that uses 4 wires, blk and red for power and ground, and two other wires (maybe reverse and something else).

All of the recent cameras I've seen without audio use a Siamese video and power cable, but pulling another cable isn't something I would look forward to.

Has anyone replaced their single coax system with a newer system?

The posts I have found so far mentioned replacing Weldex systems that used the existing wiring.

Does anyone know where I could find a coax power injector that would send power over the coax to the camera (like the Batwing tv antenna does for the pre-amp). The ones that I found were over a hundred bucks, and I'm about Googled out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Surely there is a color camera that operates off coax right? Have you googled around the subject?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

plasma800,

You're right, it's not broke yet, but besides trying to come up with a plan for when it does, I wouldn't mind having a little wider view angle, color would be nice, as would the infrared nite vision and a 7" monitor.

So far I haven't been able to locate a color camera with inline power, but just a few minutes ago I found a pair of "zot boxes" that are made just for that purpose. They are called a VDS2100 Sender and VDS2200 Viewer and allow you to put 12v, video, and audio over a single coax run, and are just over a hundred bucks for the pair. If you search Amazon for "VDS2100" you'll see them.

A hundred bucks versus running another cable seems pretty reasonable

Rick
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

I have same Problem. I have been looking everywhere for camera & monitor and no luck so far. I will post if I come across something.
Regards
CW
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Rick, you don't have to run power to the camera from the front of your MH. Look around in the back for a power panel. My Tiffin has a panel in the right rear that operates the fan and other engine components, as well as the rear slides and a few other things. I have power there that is switched by the ignition, so it would be a simple matter to power a camera from there. Maybe you have a remote panel as well.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #6

I did not change my camera and monitor yet. But I did some research.

When I will be ready, I will buy the PYLE PLCMTR71 which comes with 50 foot cable. It is 155$Can tax and shipping included. and 111.12$US on Walmart.com. This system comes with the rear camera and leds. I will also buy a 12V to 24V converter of 73 watts to give it more power because I will add 3 more cameras. One of the camera will go over the tow car and the two others at the front of the RV looking at the rear.

For the extra camera I will buy on ebay or amazon HED E336 at 18$ Some cameras are 135 or 170 degrees. Look for "Side camera" on eBay.

We can also buy the PYLE PLCMTR74 which comes with 4 cameras.

Total estimated budget: 239$Can.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 AM   #7

PushedAround:

Thanks, good point. If I can find something back there that is switched, I guess I'm still faced with getting wire from the camera location to that location .... same problem, just not as much of it. The bed headboard is on the back wall with overhead cabinets containing lighting and speaker wiring, so maybe there is some kind of chase or channel that would get me to floor level or "engine room" from the roof level. I'll start poking around.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you looked up from underneath the coach? My previous coach was a 1996 Pace Arrow Vision and the rear cap had a void all the way up between the inner wall and rear cap. The bed headboard and cabinets were all on the backwall. The Bounders, PA's, and Southwinds had a lot of common features.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:12 AM   #9

Brockx,

I'll look for that. I was back there poking around between the radiator and rear access door cleaning and touch up painting, and if I remember, that area is pretty well sealed off from engine fumes, but I haven't looked up from the bottom outside yet to see if there is anything showing promise in the corners.

Later, I'll be mounting a Ham Radio antenna on the ladder and will be rooting around back there looking for a path forward underneath for it's feed line so I might find something at that time.

Since I'm new to this coach I'm sort of skipping around making a list and doing the easy stuff first. Swapping out the two dinosaur CRT TV's with a 32" LCD up front and a 12-volt 24" LCD in the bedroom was first completed project.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
You could also install a wireless system and hi-jack the existing coax to supply power....
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #11

Well, awlrightee, I think you have something there, that's nearly a plug and play, thanks.

Rick
Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #12

I recently purchased a 1995 Allegro Bus and the Panasonic backup camera doesn't work. The monitor seems to work but the camera doesn't work. Does anyone know of a replacement camera? Panasonic wants $$$ for a new system.
Richard1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP,

I replaced my Voyager a couple of months ago with one like this:

RV Cams Factory Remanufactured Voyager 7" Heavy Duty water resistant monitor

I still only have my b&w cameras but if I decide to upgrade them some day to color I'll be all set. RV Cams is a great place to do business with- great support and they will answer all your questions. The wiring is all straight forward and if you need any adapting hardware, they'll help with that too.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace