Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

Question Replace Fridge

We are FT's and parked most of the time (unfortunately we need to work). We want to replace the fridge. With a real fridge. have a few questions.

We have a Bounder 38p, which window is the best and easiest to remove and replace. Now I need to find a few good people younger than us to help lift it in.:anyone

I have tried selling our Norcold thru CL, but not even a question. Where can I sell it? I had a problem selling the dinette. What's up?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would consider keeping the Norcold, epically if you are Full Timers. So long as it is working, why replace it? (They really do have a good reliability record even if we hear a lot about the failures).

You can, if you wish, pick up an aux freezer or two, I have an Engel all electric (12/120 volt) here beside me that more than doubles my freezer space before Ice Maker Removal and just about doubles it after ice maker removal (Removed the ice maker from my Dometic, got more freezer room and with a couple of rubber maid trays more ice as well).
(And I can adjust, Put in more trays, get more ice, put in fewer trays, more room)

The advantage of the Norcold (or Dometic) is that you have operation with very little battery drain when you find you have no shore power.

When I had a Sticks & Bricks this was.... Occasionally... A major problem with my Residential Fridge.

The Engel I have can be a Fridge or Freezer (Chest type) It is basically a large "Coleman Cooler" with a compressor and coils. Norcold and Dometic also have models much like it. I can (and have) sit (Sat) on it since I put it net to the dining table it became a "Bench" .
Old 03-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why not wait until the present one quits working?
Not many will want one that is prone to recalls or fires.

You may be able to give it away for FREE if they will take it out of the RV.
And help you put the new one in.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #4

Cool Multi-function is a Necesity

If you live in an RV and don't mind paying for shore power and never boon-docking, then a residential fridge makes sense. We travel all over the US and find ourselves in parks, businesses (like Walmart) where we have no utilities. That's were twelve volts and propane come in handy. They are expensive to repair and replace which would make one consider a residential model but the multi-function part of an RV fridge is worth it unless you are sitting full-time in a park and never plan to hit the road. That's my thoughts for what they are worth!
RLTimblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I am a guy who has lived thru the "Nevercold" nightmare.( thank God it did not burn), but that was close too. And yes, I wasted $1500 on an Amish replacement. We are more pleased with the Samsung residential than we ever could have imagined.

Fact is, we are in the market to upgrade coaches. I find myself taking a tape measure when looking at a pre-owned coach to see if I can replace the Dometic or Nevercold, as the first project when we finally decide to buy. That's how strong we feel about it.

It is so nice to not fuss at the DW about over loading the old one, "leave space so the air can flow" " don't buy a carload of items from the grocery store that are hot......etc. etc.

Without battery inverters, driving in the hottest summer days. Hit the supper cool button an hour before departure, start the generator for 1 hour at the rest stop for lunch ( good for DW microwave access). Drive till 5 pm. Still colder than my Nerercold running all day on LP going down the road when it was working properly. Ice cream still rock hard at 5:00,
Old 04-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just came across this thread and can offer some info. I have been researching the same thing. I have the Norcold 1200 4 door unit and I am concerned about it so I have been making a plan for replacing.

Based on the published measurements I believe the Norcold will come out the door if the cooling unit is removed from the rear, the doors can also be removed. My replacement unit would/will be the Whirlpool 10.7/11 cubic foot unit. This unit is only 3/10th cubic foot smaller than the 1200 Norcold it is also sold as a Kenmore in 3 colors Blk, wht, SS an icemaker is available. The whirlpool is only 21 inches deep with the doors removed so it will come in the door. I would use the extra width left from Norcold to Whirlpool swap to reclaim the slide out pantry that was standard in the 38P.

Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #7

We did it!

We installed the the prettiest stainless steel, French door, bottom freezer refridgerator. Rick took out the old one out thru the table area, and the new one thru in. It fits perfectly. It measures, 71h, 33w, and 24d.

I sold the old one on eBay. It almost paid for the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	90711  
Old 04-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's weird how that residential fridge is mounted sideways, on the floor.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Looks great, Char!
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I am a guy who has lived thru the "Nevercold" nightmare.( thank God it did not burn), but that was close too. And yes, I wasted $1500 on an Amish replacement. We are more pleased with the Samsung residential than we ever could have imagined.

Fact is, we are in the market to upgrade coaches. I find myself taking a tape measure when looking at a pre-owned coach to see if I can replace the Dometic or Nevercold, as the first project when we finally decide to buy. That's how strong we feel about it.

It is so nice to not fuss at the DW about over loading the old one, "leave space so the air can flow" " don't buy a carload of items from the grocery store that are hot......etc. etc.

Without battery inverters, driving in the hottest summer days. Hit the supper cool button an hour before departure, start the generator for 1 hour at the rest stop for lunch ( good for DW microwave access). Drive till 5 pm. Still colder than my Nerercold running all day on LP going down the road when it was working properly. Ice cream still rock hard at 5:00,
I second everything, even trying the Amish cooling unit
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #11

I've had Norcold and Dometic, our Dometic is much better and no issues.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Owned two Dometics, one of them 27 years old, never a problem.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfingmouse View Post
We installed the the prettiest stainless steel, French door, bottom freezer refridgerator. Rick took out the old one out thru the table area, and the new one thru in. It fits perfectly. It measures, 71h, 33w, and 24d.

I sold the old one on eBay. It almost paid for the new one.
What model and size is this one?
Old 06-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I ve put two cooling units on my side by side Dometic, Finally $5000 later I said enough. Pulled it out and the guys from Lowes took it. Had a $400 10cubic foot Haier put in and I framed in around it with finish wood and stain. I full time alone so did not need a large unit. When I do travel, I turn the generator on every few hours for about 30 mins. Keeps it all nice and cold. About half hour out from my destination, I fire up the generator again. Then hook back into shore power. It works great. The small refrigerator holds quit a bit
HSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, replace