Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Replaced porch light, now nothing works.

I lost the lense in my porch light on my 2004 Fleetwood Fiesta Class A while driving on rumble strips for 5 miles of road construction in NM last week. When looking at my options for replacement, I decided to go all out and order one of the new LED ones. Simple job, disconnect 2 wires from the old one, reconnect 2 wires to the new one, right? Well, I guess not.

Now I have no power to the new light, as well as the 6 ceiling lights towards the front of the coach. The red light in the wall switch for the porch light also no longer turns on. I have checked the fuses in the electrical panel under the wardrobe, and they are all okay. I know I am pulling the right fuses, as there are 3 separate ones for bedroom lights, bathroom lights and galley lights. I changed out the fuse anyway, but still no luck. Is there a separate relay or something else that I should be looking for before I start disassembling the coach?
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #2

There are often fuses inside the power center, I found 2 in there when mine was fried - well actually it wasn't, just the fuses were blown.

There was NO WAY to see these without removing the faceplate for the load center and pulling out the 12v converter.

Did you pull out your retrofit and make sure you didn't pinch a wire?
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, Smithers. I headed back over there with a test light a couple of hours ago, and did find a blown 20 A fuse, which solved the problem for the living room lights.

There are 4 fuses in the wardrobe panel (amongst others) for living area, bedroom, bath and galley. All the fuses are now good, but when I used the test light on the prongs that hold the fuses to the circuit board, the light lit up on both ends of the fuse holders in all except the galley area. On that one, only the bottom part of the holder lit up the test light. That corresponds with the fact that the two ceiling lights in the galley, plus the ceiling fan over the stove, as well as the porch light, do not work. The red light in the porch light switch is now working.

I did pull the switch cluster inside the doorway that has the step control, porch light and one inside ceiling light on it. All of those switches checked out fine. The only contacts that didn't light up were the two black wires, one for the porch light, and the other for the step. I assume these are ground wires, and wouldn't light up the tester.

The only other fuses that I am aware of behind the wardrobe, and as you mentioned, are very hard to get at, are the two in the back of the converter/charger. I pulled both of them last year (can't remember why), but don't think they would have anything to do with 1/2 of one fuse holder not showing power.

I know I did not pinch a wire in the retrofit, as this problem surfaced while the new porch light was still suspended by two wires, and had not been screwed into place yet.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

I would remove the light and check to see if a wire had become disconnected while it was suspended by the wires. Be sure you have 12V. at the switch.
You could also check the light itself when it is off by touching the wires to a battery with the switch on.
Lynn
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe if you remove the light, turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. I had a LED light did not work and that's what I did. I thought they were not polar sensitive but I've been wrong before.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Maybe if you remove the light, turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. I had a LED light did not work and that's what I did. I thought they were not polar sensitive but I've been wrong before.
Thanks, Ken. It was a polarity issue. I reversed the wires and everything is working fine now.

Tags
ace, light, replace