RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Replacement Engine Battery 2006 Pace Arrow 37C

Went out to start my 2006 Pace Arrow 37C today, which is parked at home. I start the motor about every 7-9 days and let it run for about 10 minutes.
This time it briefly tried to start, but wonít turn over and makes a clicking noise too.
Iím assuming itís the battery which hasnít been replaced since we purchased the rig about 4 yrs ago from a local dealer, who didnít replaced the battery as part of the sale.
Iíve looked in the manuals I have, but no info on the specific battery needed other than 12V DC. The engine is a GM Vortex 8100, with a Workhorse 22 chassis.

What type of battery do I need to buy?
What are best brands?
What is best place to purchase a replacement? Costco, Batteries Plus, Walmart, Auto Zone, Les Schwab come to mind.
Should I get a 72 month battery?
What can I expect to spend for a new Battery?

I may decide to sell the rig, since Iím not using it since my spouse passed away. There are only 21,617 miles in odometer.

Thank you.

Meant2shop
Merlin OR

meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #2

All the info you need will be on the existing battery .

The Group # will define the size and the CCA will tell you the starting amps available from the battery .
I purchased Auto Zone batteries, for my coach , 9 years ago and they still test fine ; but my coach is plugged in 360 days of the year; and the on board system is set up to charge both sets of batteries on shore power.

JMHO: Running the coach for only 10 mins after start up is most of your problem , that's not enough to replace the power you used to start the engine.
You need a solar battery maintainer ( 10 amp) or to drive for 20/30 mins after start up.

You current battery MAY be salvageable. Remove it from the coach and have it charged and load tested.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to open the engine hood on the RV, so I can’t get the exact battery info I need.
I have called for Roadside Assistance to come tomorrow morning to see if they can jump start the battery and get engine started.
I was hoping someone on this forum could tell me the exact battery I need so I could buy it early tomorrow morning, before the tow truck driver shows up.
Then if the battery won’t start with a jump, the tow truck guy could replace the battery with the new one I’d bought.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:58 AM   #4

Did you look around for a Boost or Aux Battery switch ?

If you find that and push and hold it, it connects the house batteries to the start battery to assist in starting the engine.

As mentioned, running for only 10 minutes isn't long enough to recharge the battery from the power you used to start it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update - The Battery was dead and trying to jump it didn’t bring it back to life. Bought and installed a Megatron Battery with 6 yr warranty and 30 month replacement.
Tow guy recommended that every 7-10 days, I start/idle the engine for 15 min.; the last 5 min. I should press the accelerator and run tachometer to 1500 rpms(?) for the last 5 min. of the 15 min. That will be enough to charge the battery the same as if I drove it for 30 min. to charge it. Your thoughts on this?
Since my spouse passed, I haven’t used the RV; have only driven it to get maintenance done on it, tires replaced, propane/gas etc.
It’s a pain to park in its spot at home without another set of eyes to help, and my husband did all the driving and setup/takedown when camping. Thinking I may sell it. Beautiful rig with low miles.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
Update - The Battery was dead and trying to jump it didnít bring it back to life. Bought and installed a Megatron Battery with 6 yr warranty and 30 month replacement.
Tow guy recommended that every 7-10 days, I start/idle the engine for 15 min.; the last 5 min. I should press the accelerator and run tachometer to 1500 rpms(?) for the last 5 min. of the 15 min. That will be enough to charge the battery the same as if I drove it for 30 min. to charge it. Your thoughts on this?
Since my spouse passed, I havenít used the RV; have only driven it to get maintenance done on it, tires replaced, propane/gas etc.
Itís a pain to park in its spot at home without another set of eyes to help, and my husband did all the driving and setup/takedown when camping. Thinking I may sell it. Beautiful rig with low miles.
I think it would make more sense to leave the battery disconnected, rather then running it every week. Your not using it anyway.

A new battery, disconnected, will last 6 month's before it would need to be recharged.

Learn how to remove and replace the negetive cable or have someone install a cut off switch.

Your tow truck operators advice may be good for the battery but not for the engine. Its best to run the engine down the road to get it heated up. That evaporates the engines internal moisture and expels the exhaust system moisture, so it doesn't fit out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #7

As mentioned above, engines need to be run at operating temperature for a while.

Lead acid batteries need to be fully charged for storage. It takes 14 to 18 hours of charging for a full charge. 10 days without disconnecting battery will probably discharge it. Starting the engine will use a significant part of the battery capacity.

Charging from shore power is the easiest. Charging from solar is Ok for maintenance, but to replace charge used to start the engine or the slow parasitic load for 10 days requires significant time.

You can check actual battery status using a cheap digital voltmeter. After storage for a period and before trying to start the engine, measure the voltage at the battery terminals. It is charged enough for storage if it is above 12.7 volts.

After running the engine for a while, shut it off for an hour and remeasure the voltage again. It should be around 13.0 volts for storage.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:37 AM   #8

I have the same year & model PA. It does have a solar battery maintainer on top of the front A/C unit but it's for the house batteries, not the chassis battery.

When it wouldn't start did you use the auxiliary start switch on the dash that uses the house batteries to start the engine when the chassis battery is dead? Of course if the chassis battery is completely kaput that won't bring it back to life.

As for getting under the hood, you should have a barrel style key that releases the locks at the top corners of the hood. Then you reach behind the middle of the top edge of the hood and pull the release latch forward and swing the hood out and up.
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #9

Best to put a battery tender on it.

Tags
replacement, battery, replace, pace arrow, ace, engine