RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #1

Replacement for Living room slide topper

We have a '16 Bounder 35K, and the slide topper on driver's side/the big one in the living area is ripping at the threads at the attachment point to the motorhome. It is wound on the tube, so that end I am guessing is fine. The end that attaches to the MH side, the sewing thread/sewed seam is ripped about 6-8 inches on the rear and not even covering the top of the slide. Has anyone replaced theirs? What is best material to go with? Manufacturer to use? This slide topper has been a real pain since ownership-water pools so much that the tube gets bowed toward the side of slide, not too keen to stay with. Thanks for any ideas.

16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #2

Call Ingrid at Stonevos 352 942-0224. They will make what you want and have the best warranty

Applefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Stonevos is a good choice; the other popular topper fabric source is toughtops.com. These are fabric only, so you use te same hardware you already have.

You still have to do the install yourself or hire somebody to do it (e.g. mobile rv repair).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefarmer View Post
Call Ingrid at Stonevos 352 942-0224. They will make what you want and have the best warranty
I went with them also. Great to work with. Quality product. If you go to the Tampa show you'll get a decent discount. Either way I would work with them again.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #5

Computerguy, did the change out take away any of the sag that the original topper seems to get due to collection of rain water......I guarantee, I must get 3 or better gallons pooled on mine.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

I just replaced my slide topper with a toughtops.com cover over my slide out.
Highly recommended!!
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will be using https://toughtopawnings.com/ for my long driver side topper in a couple months.

I just replaced the bedroom slide with the same company. So far, I'm really pleased. I had to replace the topper because the stitching gave up and the middle of the topper was no longer attached to the RV. The tough top awnings are double stitched.

The material is slightly different (a shinier black than the flat black of the original material). Took me about an hour to replace the topper by myself (with 5 minute assist from my wife).

Do a search on RV Geeks on Youtube... they've got a couple videos that they've uploaded. Using their discount code saves you 5% at the website.
https://www.nomadsumc.org/
lynch763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

We just replaced the topper on our whole side slide. We used Stonevos and used the best quality fabric that they recommended. Actually it isn’t fabric but a much more stable fabric than awning fabric. You will need at least 2 people to replace the whole side slide topper. The length of the slide makes it more difficult to install. We got it done and are very pleased with both the awnings and toppers.

2013 Holiday Rambler 36 pft, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bounder View Post
Computerguy, did the change out take away any of the sag that the original topper seems to get due to collection of rain water......I guarantee, I must get 3 or better gallons pooled on mine.
Yes. But I also added a middle support. So not sure which fixed the pooling.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

I have thought about the support, but could not find one for Carefree, the one I saw on Amazon(?) I thought seriously about. I called Carefree and asked if they had such and were told no, and asked if the one I saw would be ok..again "NO". So I gave up. Which/where did you find/use? TIA
Old 09-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bounder View Post
I have thought about the support, but could not find one for Carefree, the one I saw on Amazon(?) I thought seriously about. I called Carefree and asked if they had such and were told no, and asked if the one I saw would be ok..again "NO". So I gave up. Which/where did you find/use? TIA
I bought a Dometic one. Wish it was a little smaller but it works great.
https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-b...-3309526-006u/

Tags
replacement, slide, replace, ace