RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Replacement refigerator

There are many post about Monaco and others replacing the refrigerator with a residential unit. Samsung 197

I don't see any post about Fleetwood owners doing this. I KNOW NEVERCOLD USED THE SAME MODEL.

Have you replaced yours and what did you use, price and where did you buy it.

Not sure I want another summer fighting the NEVERCOLD.

Any help will be appreciated

Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will be following this thread as it is my goal as well. At least you probably have an inverter. My gas Bounder doesn't have one however that alone won't stop me as we don't dry camp and usually have genny running whole driving.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I will be following this thread as it is my goal as well. At least you probably have an inverter. My gas Bounder doesn't have one however that alone won't stop me as we don't dry camp and usually have genny running whole driving.
Hmmmm. I wonder when they started adding them to the Bounder? Ours has a 1200 watt inverter.

Just Because--we have a Dometic RM1350 french door 'fridge. So far it has been flawless, but we have only owned the coach since November. I know lots of people have switched to residential and love it. One obstacle for many is the width of the entry door on the coach, so be sure to take careful measurements on the replacement unit.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

Hmmmm. I wonder when they started adding them to the Bounder? Ours has a 1200 watt inverter.

Just Because--we have a Dometic RM1350 french door 'fridge. So far it has been flawless, but we have only owned the coach since November. I know lots of people have switched to residential and love it. One obstacle for many is the width of the entry door on the coach, so be sure to take careful measurements on the replacement unit.
FW has put inverters in for a long time. I don't know if they are still an option or not. I'm also not sure a 1200 watt inverter will be enough or not. I have been reading that 2000 would be good. Then again if we don't dry camp and use the gen. for extended drives , we may not need one.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Because View Post
There are many post about Monaco and others replacing the refrigerator with a residential unit. Samsung 197

I don't see any post about Fleetwood owners doing this. I KNOW NEVERCOLD USED THE SAME MODEL.

Have you replaced yours and what did you use, price and where did you buy it.

Not sure I want another summer fighting the NEVERCOLD.

Any help will be appreciated
Several Fleetwood owners have replaced their Norcold's with residential refers and I for one have enjoyed the "really" frozen ice cream. The key to the retrofit is measure, measure and then measure again. Shop around and you may find a shop that will do the "swap" for you if you give them the working Norcold. One day to get the mh ready and the next to finish including the new trim panels. The only expense is the residential refer. I love hard ice cream.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
FW has put inverters in for a long time. I don't know if they are still an option or not. I'm also not sure a 1200 watt inverter will be enough or not. I have been reading that 2000 would be good. Then again if we don't dry camp and use the gen. for extended drives , we may not need one.
OIC. The knowledge I have about inverters would fit in a thimble, with lots of room to spare. At this point I have no interest in a residential fridge, but maybe someday.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

OIC. The knowledge I have about inverters would fit in a thimble, with lots of room to spare. At this point I have no interest in a residential fridge, but maybe someday.
I can fit in that thimble with you. I had an inverter in my last MH but never used it. I am usually not far from a 50 amp pedestal. I noticed that a lot of Mfg. have gone to Dometic this year. They were everywhere at the Tampa Show. Hopefully they will preform better than the norcold however their rep is about the same. I won't do the residential till I have to , but I won't spend another dime on these.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I plan on doing the swap myself .

I have not got as far as measuring the openings and not sure of the size I need. I don't think the door opening will work, as I have a hard time getting in the coach with a bag full of groceries. Plans are to remove the window on the slide and go in that way. We have a fork lift so height is no problem.

We have an inverter but my wife's idea of camping is 50A.
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Because

We have an inverter but my wife's idea of camping is 50A.
You're wife can camp with us. LOL

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Res Refer

We just install a Whirlpool 21.7cu with water and ice in front door. Was very difficult in finding one that would fit and not stick out to far. Had to have the opening modified but it look good and works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	17222
Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Search for a counter depth model and there won't be any modifications needed as far as depth and it will go through the door of a Bounder diesel. You will need to remove the refer doors.

Tags
replacement