Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Residential Fridge for 2011 Southwind 32V

Thinking about a residential fridge for my Southwind. Anyone added one? Appears there is ample room to do this mod. Any info appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
Thinking about a residential fridge for my Southwind. Anyone added one? Appears there is ample room to do this mod. Any info appreciated.
There are plenty of residential fridges in rv's the only question is how are you going to power it, shore and genny only or a big battery bank also.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Power source is not the concern I have. What I am really looking for is someone that has done this mod in a similar laid out coach. Im sure somebody has done this and has pictures and comments about problems etc., they ran in to. I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel. I just like the idea of getting rid of the Norcold which I currently have. But thanks for reply.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

I have not done it but own a 2014 32VS. I was just working under the fridge installing wiring for solar panels. If you need to lower the fridge opening there are two furnace ducts in that area that occupy most of the space so it will be difficult. There is an empty cabinet above the fridge so going taller might be easier. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Interested to see what you find out. Also interested in where you might add more batteries as I think you will need them. Maybe in the water pump compartment behind the entry door on a slide out tray?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am still just at the "thinking and planning" stage. If I do this need room, most likely will go up as the space is there. Like your battery idea. Still like to find someone that has already done this and would share their plan and pics. Thanks for reply.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've been thinking about this for our 2012 Bounder, too. The Dometic works "OK", but I get tired of baby sitting it and wondering if it will keep things cold enough. I will watch this thread to see what others have done.

I don't know much about electrical stuff, but I have wondered if our 1200 watt inverter is sufficient if the refrigerator is the only thing running on it. Also, we don't have room for additional batteries under our steps, so if we add batteries we'll have to give up space in a bay.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Actually another thought I had as far as batteries go is to cut out the bottom of the existing battery box and add framework to support two L16 batteries. It looks like there's enough room to do it. As for the 1200 watt inverter it should handle the fridge. Just need to get a fridge that gets along with a modified sine wave inverter.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #8

If your coach is equipped with a Norcold 1200, you can make a Samsung RF18 easily fit. Your only concern will be to adding height to the opening. There are other units that are cheaper, but this one can be brought in through the entry door of many coaches due to how shallow it is. Mid door RVs are easier to work on when doing this modification due to door location and less obstructions. Of course this is assuming that your door opening is slightly larger than the new fridge depth.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	101277

Had a side by side Dometic, went through two cooling units in five years, that was it for me. Installed this apartment size Haier. Love it! When I travel, I just minimize the opening and closing of the fridge. Keeps very cool. About every four hours I run the generator for 30 minutes. Then about 50 miles from my destination, run the generator to get her nice and cold. Never did the inverter battery thing. To much trouble, and who needs more battery/electrical problems?

Harlan Snyder
HSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSnyder View Post
Attachment 101277

Had a side by side Dometic, went through two cooling units in five years, that was it for me. Installed this apartment size Haier. Love it! When I travel, I just minimize the opening and closing of the fridge. Keeps very cool. About every four hours I run the generator for 30 minutes. Then about 50 miles from my destination, run the generator to get her nice and cold. Never did the inverter battery thing. To much trouble, and who needs more battery/electrical problems?

Harlan Snyder
Harlan, that looks great. I like the size you chose and that is what I have in mind if we get a residential type. I don't see the need for a huge french-door model in our RV since we are "vacationers." Our current Dometic is the 4-door model but I'll bet your apartment size will hold as much or more than the Dometic. Thanks for the pic.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
Community Administrator

What Sarah said. Well done. Enjoy

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
fridge

Harlan, what you di is what I am leaning toward. My problem is that where my 1200 is located is in hallway. The hall is narrow and my concern is how much room is needed to open the fridge door. I cannot remember off hand how wide the hall is. I don't need or want a large fridge, just one that works and is dependable.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
The doors are about 22" when the door is open. I got this at Lowe's, I think you can check out the dimensions on their web site. It is a Haier. I have had no problems, Gets good and cold, frost free, NO ice maker, but more than enough room. When I travel a couple of pieces of masking tape hold the doors just fine. I full time in my 2004 Pace Arrow, and I love it. I just get upset about the $5000 I spent on the two cooling units for the old Dometic. Also, it fit thru my door, just had to take off the handrail. Let me know what you do.
HSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
fridge

Thanks for additional information. I did go to Lowes this morning and saw one like you installed. Also a 30" wide French door model that might also work. I don't think I could get that one in the door and I really hate to remove a window. Whirlpool also has a size about like yours and it would fit thru the door easily, as would the one you used. Like Sara , we don't need a huge fridge. The Whirlpool was a 10.73 or something and has all the room we need. I talked to Whirlpool about if warranty would be good and they said yes. Them and Samsung are the only ones I know so far that say this. With these smaller units there is less cabinet modifications to worry with and that is a plus. I don't know if my inverter would handle it or not but since we often travel with the generator running, that , and fact we do not dry camp, we really don't have need for extra battery capacity. Anyway, just in the early stages of this thing. Trying to have my options known if I need them. Thanks for your info.

Tags
fridge, southwind