RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have been reading through your adventure as we purchased a 1999 39Z Bounder that we are in the process of renovating. My big question is on your back-up camera replacement. You noted that you ran wires via channels on top left side of coach (hidden wire access). Is this the driver's side or passenger side and is it on the outside or inside? Ours was missing the backup camera and we have just purchased a wired system and any insight on this would be awesome.

Das Pudel-Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
What Brand is the TV mount? I am trying to find one just like it. Thank You.
Here is the exact mount I used.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Pudel-Haus View Post
Have been reading through your adventure as we purchased a 1999 39Z Bounder that we are in the process of renovating. My big question is on your back-up camera replacement. You noted that you ran wires via channels on top left side of coach (hidden wire access). Is this the driver's side or passenger side and is it on the outside or inside? Ours was missing the backup camera and we have just purchased a wired system and any insight on this would be awesome.
The pictures below show the channel I am referring to

The top pic is of the battery disconnect/slide-out control area. You will notice a white colored screw in the pic as well. Remove these screws (some may be hard to see, but they ARE there), and then the white 'flap' shall fall away and will reveal the channel.

superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
What Brand is the TV mount? I am trying to find one just like it. Thank You.
You should take instead the Travel TV mount available online at homedepot.com or on amazon.com. They come with two bracket so you can unhook the TV to put it outdoor under the awning.

See this link.

In Canada it is availlable probably only on amazon.ca.

I have installed two. They also come with a retaining belt.

If the screw distance is too short for you TV you may buy a TV VESA bracket adaptor.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #74

Thank You very much. Amazon U.S. has the mount and lot cheaper than Home Depot.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Back up camera wire channel

Thank-you so much. The coach is currently at Cummings having the manifold gasket and another part replaced. We expect to have it home by the end of the week and will start on that project.
Das Pudel-Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
You should take instead the Travel TV mount available online at homedepot.com or on amazon.com. They come with two bracket so you can unhook the TV to put it outdoor under the awning.

See this link.

In Canada it is availlable probably only on amazon.ca.

I have installed two. They also come with a retaining belt.

If the screw distance is too short for you TV you may buy a TV VESA bracket adaptor.

It would have been nice to have seen that before I bought mine lol. Good find though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Pudel-Haus View Post
Thank-you so much. The coach is currently at Cummings having the manifold gasket and another part replaced. We expect to have it home by the end of the week and will start on that project.
I love cummings engines, very powerful and pretty quiet too. I hope you dont need too much to make her road worthy. Please let me know how your install goes, and dont forget to take pics!!

I chose to run the cable down the drivers side, as there were less sections of cover to remove, less cabinets to run through, just plain less. The hardest part was running the cable through the bathroom walls. I used 2 wooden food skewers taped together, taped to the wire. DW was pushing while I was pulling.

So the bedroom tv is complete, and installed. Here are some pics

OLD:

NEW:

Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

NEW:

I see on your pictures that you did not put new wallpaper covering. I did it on my coach and it really change the whole look.

We can not put normal wallpaper covering. I bought vinyl wallpaper covering that was NOT PRE-GLUED or not self-adhesive. I took very good quality and expensive wall paper. Paid about 500$ for the whole coach but I could have taken cheaper vinyl paper and do the whole coach for 100$. HomeDepot have books where you can choose your vinyl not pre-glued wallpaper.

For the glue, it has to be a glue "Vinyl Over Vinyl" (VOV) otherwise it will fall during winter and wet conditions. Here in Canada it his the glue they sell to put Paper wall strips. These vinyl strips goes over wall paper so this is why the glue is VOV.

In USA your are lucky because HomeDepot sells it for very cheap for a gallon. Roman PRO-555.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
I see on your pictures that you did not put new wallpaper covering. I did it on my coach and it really change the whole look.

We can not put normal wallpaper covering. I bought vinyl wallpaper covering that was NOT PRE-GLUED or not self-adhesive. I took very good quality and expensive wall paper. Paid about 500$ for the whole coach but I could have taken cheaper vinyl paper and do the whole coach for 100$. HomeDepot have books where you can choose your vinyl not pre-glued wallpaper.

For the glue, it has to be a glue "Vinyl Over Vinyl" (VOV) otherwise it will fall during winter and wet conditions. Here in Canada it his the glue they sell to put Paper wall strips. These vinyl strips goes over wall paper so this is why the glue is VOV.

In USA your are lucky because HomeDepot sells it for very cheap for a gallon. Roman PRO-555.

I actually never thought of doing the wallpaper. Wow what a great idea. Would you mind posting a pic or two of your new walls?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #79

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Happy to help!

Ok so we have some news. We just got back from our vacation. We were gone near 3 weeks. The trip was worth about 3700 miles. We stopped 2 times each day of travel for the animals, and to check up on oil and inspect the coach. 4 days of travel each way to nova scotia.

Aside from a headache day caused by a loose and corroded battery terminal, absolutely everything was good. There was nothing major to report. I noticed a little fluid leaking from the abs sensor on the diff. I topped it up once, it didnt seem to need that much. I plan to drain and replace the oil. If something got out. Something could have gotten in.

Somehow, the remote start for the generator stopped working. At first it would start intermittently. Then it would not start, but i could stop, now it wont let me start or stop but it still shows on when its on. I suspect broken wires somewhere. After some reading, apparantly there is a connection near the generator I should examine.

This trip was 3700 miles, add in roughly 1200 miles of previous trips, I think its time for an oil/filter change.

I noticed a few rear clearence lights stopped working. going to change them all for led.
  • Diff Oil
  • Engine Oil
  • Generator switch
  • Clearence lights

From experienced owners, anything I should be adding to that list?
Ford calls for removing the rear plug in the Diff. check for water. It should be a honey color. If no water, the fluid is lifetime. Never needs changing.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #80

Quote:
I actually never thought of doing the wallpaper. Wow what a great idea. Would you mind posting a pic or two of your new walls?
Picture 1 and 2 :
I painted all the wood in the coach.

I put ceramic over the countertop in the kitchen.

I put a strip of ceramic on the floor in the kitchen not more than 6 inches.

I have put floating floor large wood and side by side and not front to rear (side by side make my coach look wider and rear to front would look like a school bus and the coach would look longer). The floor goes up to the front gas pedal so the room look bigger.

I painted everything in the coach that was gold to silver with spray cans. The lamps, the door accessories, the toilet paper holder, everything. Gold is out, so we must get rid of it everywhere.

I painted everything that was in plastic to white with spray cans, the fan on the roof, the electric outlet, everything. I wanted everything to look like brand new.

I cover the original window covering with new tissus. Took 2 days.

I also covered the original chairs in the dining room with new tissue.

You can see on the second picutre I have put new vinyl wallpaper on the walls with VOV glue. I took a safari look. Like a animal skin. This paper was of the most expansive I could find. At the touch it feel like real fur. It is very important to take expensive rolls in my opinion.

I put LED everywhere. Even replace the neon tubes with LED stripes from ebay for 5$.

Picture 2

On picture 2 I have put a vacuum trap for broom under the oven. We broom the floor and bring the dirt to this trap. Underneath, in the compartment I have put a 30$ 2 gallons small shop vac. I have put a 12V relay 15 amps to make it automatic when you open the trap.
You can also see on picture 2 the strip of ceramic on the floor. It separates the kitchen from the dining room to the eye. This is very important otherwise the kitchen is in the "same room".

Picture 3

On picture 3 you see the window covering.
The fireplace that replaced the original old TV.
I have changed the front windshield curtain. Well in fact, we changed the curtain that was sew to the previous back-curtain.
The 32 inch TV with the Travel TV mount. I have another 29" TV in the bed room with the Travel TV mount.
You see have put new leather on the original sofa and on the lazyboy seat. I took commercial leather. The leather normally is good for 80000 seatings. This leather is rated 500000 seatings. I have 5 kids.
You see on picture 3 the floating floor goes under the fronts seats.
I changed the carpet between the driver and passenger.

Picture 4:

Picture 4 show the ceramic on the kitchen wall. It cover the whole lenght of the countertop.
I changed all the windows blinds for vinyl. 600$ total.

Picture 5

On picture 5 I have a 55$ amazon.ca Bluethooth radio with usb. Painted wood everywhere even in the front. Carpet between the driver and passenger. Phone with Google maps GPS and holder. The phone connects via bluethooth with the radio so the voice indication of the road goes thru the radio speakers. The phone connects to our Verizon Jetpack (a wireless internet router on 4G that can supply all our toys with internet) which gives us 10 gigs for a month for 100$. So our google maps gps is realtime connected on the internet.
On the right of the fireplace I have two 3.0 amps usb connections. I have two more at the bottom of the fireplace on each side, one for the driver and one for the passenger. Each of the four USB ports have there own 3.0amps 12V to 5v transfo bought on aliexpress.com. It charge a tablet very fast.

Behind the fireplace I have a Prowatt 2000 true inverter connected to 4 batteries and 900 watts on 3 solar panels with two true MPPT controllers and a 200 amps alternator on the Ford Engine. My kids can play video games on the two tvs on the road, the icemaker and the microwave are also working on the road without the generator and without draining down the batteries.

Sorry for my english, better in french.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Ford calls for removing the rear plug in the Diff. check for water. It should be a honey color. If no water, the fluid is lifetime. Never needs changing.
I will put this in my maintenance schedule. Does anybody knows the frequency for this operation and the socket size? How can we determine there is water and how can we remove it? Anybody has the procedure?

Here is what I had in my notes for the differential so far:
Axle rating... 11,000 lbs.... 8.25 pints or 13,500 lbs....13.6 pints. Synthetic rear end oil. Royal Purple 75W-140 is probably the best you can buy.
Someone '97 F-53 Motor Home Chassis Service Guide says: Ford Synthetic 75W-140, P/N F1tZ-19580-B, Spec. WSL-M2C192-A.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #82

Following this thread with interest. Any updates on your inverter install? I'm curious about where you mounted it and your wire routing both for the DC input lines and how you tie it in with the 110 system.

I just picked up a 1999 Bounder 34V in pretty nice shape for $18,000. I want to add solar panels and inverter and upgrade from 2 to 4 house batteries. Not to many "problems" to solve on mine, but would like to do several upgrades. I'm not sure how best to incorporate the abilities to have 110V ac from shore power, generator, and inverter without doing something stupid to damage one or more of the systems. I mean how to wire it up and how to switch between them (preferably automatic).

I also threw out the TVs. No replacement yet. We're about to move into ours full-time. Just did our first outing in it this weekend, 2 nights.

Mine "squeals" when brake is applied, doesn't matter if i'm moving or not. Mechanic said it's the brake fluid pump and it's normal (not a vacuum boosted brake like in a car). It sure is annoying though, would be nice if it didn't make that sound. Does yours make the sound as well?

TroySmith80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, bounder