RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

REV Group

Went to REV Group web site and I see they also make and build fire trucks, ambulances and buses. Wonder how the QC is for these Vehicles? I couldn't imagine a fire truck or ambulance having as many issues as some of the owners of MH do.
Could you imagine the steps not coming, slides moving out while driving, having to do all kinds of extra suspension up grades just to make it drivable.
Couldn't imagine a fire truck or ambulance in the shop being fixed as much as some of MH owners have their rigs being fixed.
Just food for thought!

lars36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

An REV Class A RV does not require any modifications to be drivable. I have to wonder how anyone could spend this kind of money on a product they considered undrivable.
You did test drive it first right?
Your comparing apples to oranges.
I agree the RV industry QC needs a lot of improvement

z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars36 View Post
Went to REV Group web site and I see they also make and build fire trucks, ambulances and buses. Wonder how the QC is for these Vehicles? I couldn't imagine a fire truck or ambulance having as many issues as some of the owners of MH do.
Could you imagine the steps not coming, slides moving out while driving, having to do all kinds of extra suspension up grades just to make it drivable.
Couldn't imagine a fire truck or ambulance in the shop being fixed as much as some of MH owners have their rigs being fixed.
Just food for thought!
Much different price point. Also, if I understand correctly they are in different buildings so different people and processes to manufacture them.
As a consultant for most of my life I see it all the time. Same company, completely different results for different divisions.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
My rev group class a has been great, I had a few inconveniences but nothing like the problems I read about on here for other brands, most of my issues have been ford issues and could have been common to any gas rv. I would buy another rev product in a heartbeat.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
An REV Class A RV does not require any modifications to be drivable. I have to wonder how anyone could spend this kind of money on a product they considered undrivable.
You did test drive it first right?
I agree the RV industry QC needs a lot of improvement
NO, I am comparing QC. I don't care if I spend $10 or $100+. I need to know that every effort was put into making a good product.
If I did my job the way they DON"T do their job, I would have been FIRED!
All comes down to PRIDE of the worker and management!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
... All comes down to PRIDE of the worker and management!
I think this is where you might be mistaken.
It comes down to the almighty dollar. If I understand it correctly they have x amount of seconds to complete y amount of tasks. Don't sneeze because one of those tasks might not get done or get done poorly.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

Then they NEED>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I think this is where you might be mistaken.
It comes down to the almighty dollar. If I understand it correctly they have x amount of seconds to complete y amount of tasks. Don't sneeze because one of those tasks might not get done or get done poorly.
To find another job WHERE pride is NOT needed.
Ask GM, Ford, Chrysler how well they made out with the CRAP they produced in the 70's and 80's.
Like I said, I would have been FIRED....Bottom line...do it right or find another job where you can screw off.
Thank God they don't build airplanes!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
To find another job WHERE pride is NOT needed.
Ask GM, Ford, Chrysler how well they made out with the CRAP they produced in the 70's and 80's.
Like I said, I would have been FIRED....Bottom line...do it right or find another job where you can screw off.
Thank God they don't build airplanes!
Ahhhh, yes, competition. That is the dilemma. Not enough competition.
70's and 80's with cars saw the likes of Toyota and Honda and Nissan (do you remember Datsun?). The US manufacturers had to become better or extinct.
Doubt you'll see that sort of competition in the RV industry.
One can hope.
In the meantime buy from a manufacturer that will at least fix the problem after they are found. Some of them won't even do that. Run from them.
Caveat Emptor
Old 09-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

I agreed about QC being a problem. I disagree that a new RV needs chassis upgrades to be drivable.
There is a definite difference in a 100,000.00 gas coach and a top of the line 750,000.00 coach you get what you pay for. Products are built to a price point.
I have seen the workers hustling at the Fleetwood plant in Decatur and frankly I don't envy those guys their jobs they WORK for their money.
BTW Since I do have a bit of background in the aviation industry I suspect that REV could do quite well there if they wanted to but that field has a different set of rules.
Again Apples to Oranges
Old 09-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #10

I've had a jayco Pinnacle, a Mountaineer, and 2 Fleetwoods and they all had their issues but all were taken care of by warranty. I can't say Fleetwood was any worse than the others and in fact with Fleetwood Factory Service nearby I will buy another.

good luck

pointrow
Old 09-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
How Fleetwood views QC issues

Some of Fleetwood's division heads spoke to us during the June rally in Decatur. Regarding QC issues, a very diplomatic response to many complaints went like this: "...we see these issues as a continuing challenge."
Not much said about turnover or workforce training which, I'm certain, are proprietary issues.
During the plant tour, I saw small groups of workers getting together near production lines and our tour guide explained they were discussing work flow and safety initiatives.
I do remember seeing flat screen TV monitors hanging from the ceiling showing how many minutes remaining until a unit is moved down the line to the next stage of completion.
Imagine if someone didn't finish their particular chore during the timeframe, it may necessitate a return of an RV to Decatur to have shortcomings completed.
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #12

I don't know if this is urban legend or not.
When there last month at the Factory Service Center and taking the tour the story being repeated was that the new REV/Fleetwood CEO spent a couple of weeks working on the factory floor incognito. Upon taking the reins a group of employees got their pink slips due to what he observed them doing while working on the floor.
Don't know how true the story is but I'ld like to believe it.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #13

Talking to other RV owners an almost universal complaint is the lack of quality (ineptness) of the RV dealers service departments. Fleetwood/REV I think see this as an opportunity to improve customer relations and make a pile of money in the process. Last year there were 2 Factory Service Centesr Indiana and Oregon. Now the are Indiana, Southern California, Oregon, Texas, Nevada (In Construction) and rumors about a Florida location. I don't know about anyone else but after warranty and if my coach needs repairs the first place I would take it is back to the service center. They have the most competent technicians, parts supply and seem to be able to fix things faster. The shop labor rates there are no different than a dealers service department are.
Imagine having a chain of reputable quality service centers exclusively open to REV owners. This will force dealers to step up their games if they want the service business and give REV a step up on the competition in after purchase support which won't hurt sales.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
NO, I don't care if I spend $10 or $100+. I need to know that every effort was put into making a good product.
If I did my job the way they DON"T do their job, I would have been FIRED!
All comes down to PRIDE of the worker and management!
If i have two employees and one makes min wage and the other makes ten times that do i expect the same quality work from the two people? same with two products, on is 10k one is 100k, i know there is going to a qualitly difference in the two. Ten time the diff? maybe not.

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote