Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Revolution

2006 Revolution LE
After stored for 45 days plugged into 20 amp shore power I found the batteries very low. They are four years old. Very slow cranking interspersed with normal cranking power and speed. Was able to get the rig started and drove to nearest RV repair. After they checked the unit they told me the charger was working correct and the problem was that they were a few loose cables. They tightened all the cables and said all was good. I drove eight hours with no problems. The next morning after being hooked to shore power all night the batteries were very low! What's next? Should I install new batteries (2 chassis and 4 coach) ? What should I have checked next? Currently in New Orleans. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeinhaler View Post
2006 Revolution LE
After stored for 45 days plugged into 20 amp shore power I found the batteries very low. They are four years old. Very slow cranking interspersed with normal cranking power and speed. Was able to get the rig started and drove to nearest RV repair. After they checked the unit they told me the charger was working correct and the problem was that they were a few loose cables. They tightened all the cables and said all was good. I drove eight hours with no problems. The next morning after being hooked to shore power all night the batteries were very low! What's next? Should I install new batteries (2 chassis and 4 coach) ? What should I have checked next? Currently in New Orleans. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks!
I have the same motorhome and there should be 4 12V AGM house batteries and two 12V starting batteries. Since you have verified that the charging system is functioning you can have the batteries load tested but, I suspect it is time for new batteries. Last year I put in all new AGM house batteries and this year replaced the starting batteries. My starting batteries were performing just like you described, slow turning then the engine would start. Sounds like your main concern is with starting which is separate function from the House batteries. You could replace just the starting batteries and then the house batteries when you get back home as long as you are plugged into a 50 amp power source the conveter/inverter will provide 12V house power. Helpful hint, when you replace the battereis make sure you make a sketch of the battery cables. The battery bay has a diagram of the batteries and cables on the inside bay door. Also each cable is labeled with letters like VV, FF or VW ect, it is not a hard job just take your time.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

I was also having the same issue. I equalized the batteries using the Magnum controller and now they have taken a full charge again. 2007 38v
Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

What does your charger say when this happens? Is it bulk charging,trickle charging how many volts does it show? If they get charged and don't hold probably bad batteries.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not a mechanic but if your batteries are dead after being plugged in, either they are completely finished (i.e. don't hold a charge for more than a few minutes (and if that was the case, I don't think you'd even be able to charge them to full - I just don't think batteries fail like that)) or more likely, your charger is not working properly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but even a trickle charger should be able to keep a pretty dead battery topped up. If you have a dead battery after being plugged into a 50-100A charger, I think the charger might not be working correctly.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #6

I push and hold the charge button for 5 seconds and then once the battery is in float mode it says equalizing on the panel. It does this for 4 hours at 15.9 v. Then the charger returns to float. I did have to add water after the equalize. First time I have done it.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Battery

OK, I agree that the batteries are dying. Does anybody have a favorite battery? I am going to change them myself. Chassis first and then house. Currently the batteries are from NAPA part number 8231. Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #8

We have an 06 BounderDP that I consider to be a cheaper. Version of the Revolution so battery set up probably the same. Just yesterday replaced the 4 6v house batteries with 4 GC batteries from Costco ($90). Previously had same symptoms as you and replaced the 2 12v chassis batteries with Interstate 12v. The symptom disappeared after the chassis batteries were replaced. However also added an Echo charger. But not sure it was needed.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeinhaler View Post
OK, I agree that the batteries are dying. Does anybody have a favorite battery? I am going to change them myself. Chassis first and then house. Currently the batteries are from NAPA part number 8231. Thanks for any advice.
I am surprised that they are NAPA, someone must have already replaced the factory ones. The factory installs 4 12V DEKA AGM deep cycle and two Harris 12V starting batteries. I replaced my original ones with Lifeline 12V AGM deep cycle and two commercial rated sealed 12V starting batteries. The reason for the AGM is that the way the batteries are positioned in the battery bay it is impossible to check water levels in the back batteries or the one starting battery that is turned sideways behind the one house battery. They should be group 27 or group 31 and the Lifelines will cost close to $300 each or $1200 for four house batteries. I would call American Coach which the Revolution is now part of and verify the group size and amperage hour ratings. The nice thing about the AGM's is that your battery bay stays as clean as the day it left the factory and they are totally maintenance free. I open my battery bay campartment perhaps once a year if I think about it.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #10

Update on the equalize is that the batteries are back to their original state of not holding a charge very long. I still think I can get a couple more years out of them because we do live off the grid for any length of time.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all!

Thanks guys. As expected I got great advice here! I contacted the manufacturers (Fleetwood and Spartan) for help. Thanks to both. I sent and recieved a couple of personal messages. I am replacing the chassis batteries today and the house batteries when we get home. Thanks again for all the help and advice. This is a great forum. Dukeinhaler