RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Question revolution battery charging

I have a 2008 revy and my control panel has a battery charger button and read out and an inverter button.

I have always left the charger button on and seldom use the inverter.

Long story short, I now have a rotten egg smell from batteries and one seems a little warmer than others.

Fellow campers suggest that I do not need the charger on all the time and that
the inverter alone will charge the batteries.

Some say maybe the batteries are gone??

Suggestions? I am usually parked with full 50 amp plug in. Have now turned off charger and smell has gone. Is this the right way to run?

Mickey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey123 View Post
I have a 2008 revy and my control panel has a battery charger button and read out and an inverter button.

I have always left the charger button on and seldom use the inverter.

Long story short, I now have a rotten egg smell from batteries and one seems a little warmer than others.

Fellow campers suggest that I do not need the charger on all the time and that
the inverter alone will charge the batteries.

Some say maybe the batteries are gone??

Suggestions? I am usually parked with full 50 amp plug in. Have now turned off charger and smell has gone. Is this the right way to run?
Hi Mickey,

The CONverter changes regular house current to D/C current.
The INverter changes battery (d/c current) to house current (a/c)
Sounds like you should have your batteries checked under load and replace them, as necessary.

2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would check the batteries as suggested ensuring they have sufficient water (distilled) but I bet one or more are bad and as a result the others are overcharging.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #4

Thanks to all who helped but

Thanks for your input. I will have to get a mobile rv tech to come by to check my batteries, I guess.

But can anyone comment on how I should leave the settings on my
MAGNUM board.
Mickey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #5

I would for sure check that you have proper water levels in all cells, including any suspect battery(s).

As far as Magnum settings, it will depend upon which battery you have in your coach. I getting new, check the Battery Manufacturers recommended charging parameters and follow them. Good chance that your Magnum will have default settings to support any wet cell you purchase to replace. (And as painful to the wallet that it is, replace the set together, as the weaker/older batteries can pull down the newer ones.)

Many Magnums have default settings for AGM's too. If going with Lifeline, be aware that they have different charging parameters then other AGM's. (If your Magnum does not have a setting to specifically cover Lifeline's, then you will probably need to set a customize setup to match the Lifeline's parameters. I know our MS2812 does have a AGM2 setting, specifically to cover Lifeline's.)

Good time to check the grounds on the other ends of your cables too, as clean grounds can make a happier overall electric system!

Best of luck, have fun, be safe,
Smitty
Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the wet cell batteries and let the charger automatically keep the batteries fully charged while connected to shore power but it sounds like you need to check existing batteries. If you have the Magnum Owners Manual it is a great resource for understanding the functions and settings but the units are smart so with good batteries you shouldn't have to worry.

Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging