Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Revolution insulation values

We are interested in a 2015 Revolution but have concern over insulating values. American Coach does not post any R values and makes it hard to figure things out. We sometimes get in colder situations than I would like, but want to be comfortable. We had some 13 degrees nights this past winter, it was not by choice we were there. I would have rather been in the Keys soaking up some sun.
If any of you could chime in and let me know about that and other features you really like on the Revolution I would appreciate it.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
Community Administrator

American Coach Customer Service may be able to tell you. Worth a shot. Their # is 800-435-7345. Good luck with your decision.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Fortrider,

The floors of the Revolution are 4" thick (3" aluminum tube frame, spaces filled with tightly fit foam, 1/2" of plywood topped with tile - and a sheet of aluminum under all of it). The roof is of similar thickness with runners cut out for the A/C. The walls are the "standard" 2.5" aluminum frame, again filled with foam, and laminated to roughly 1/4" thick composite on the outside and approximately 1/8" of interior wall material. I think you'll find this meets or exceeds the industry standards, at least at this price point. It will also come with the dual pane windows.

Like most coaches, the front cap could use more insulation. They do apply some spray foam up in there during construction but it seems more of a gesture than any real function. Sadly, I think that's common in the industry too (too little, or even no insulation in the upper front cap). I can't tell you the R values, but I suspect they will meet or beat those of anything else you're considering.

One of the things I liked about the American Coach is there is nothing in the walls to absorb moisture/water. Some will use an outer skin of fiberglass laminated to a wood substrate. One of the better brands uses a fiberglass mat style of wall insulation that I was concerned would act as a sponge if there was ever a leak.

We've weathered nights down to the teens in our rig, but those were exceptions. We are full time so we can generally avoid those types of temperatures.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
We are interested in a 2015 Revolution but have concern over insulating values. American Coach does not post any R values and makes it hard to figure things out. We sometimes get in colder situations than I would like, but want to be comfortable. We had some 13 degrees nights this past winter, it was not by choice we were there. I would have rather been in the Keys soaking up some sun.
If any of you could chime in and let me know about that and other features you really like on the Revolution I would appreciate it.

The R values used by RV manufacturers are products of the marketing department. They usually take an R value associated with the materials used in an assembly and add them together. It's close to completely meaningless. The limiting factor in RV construction is the thickness of the sidewalls/roof/floor assemblies. Most motorhomes now use double pane windows which help but the big honking windshield can't be double pane and it radiates heat in both directions. Production practices and how well a manufacturer fills voids and stops leaks in the assembly all play into the livability of the motorhome in temp extremes. My wife and I have lived full time in an '03 coach for 8 years now. We have been in temps from zero to over 100 and I can report that we have been very comfortable in both.

If you stay with one of the quality builders you will be fine. In your case, I would certainly consider Fleetwood/ASV a quality builder.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks for all the quick replies. We are considering the Revolution, Allegiance, and the Newmar Dutch Star. Really like the floor plan of the 39A with a single bath.
Any input is appreciated.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Cheaper Than IR Camera

One thing you can do is turn the air conditioning on and temp way down.

From the exterior, you can see all the weak insulation points where there is condensation.

The aluminum frame points create a bad thermal break. You can see where all the framing is by the condensation.
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our '15 Discovery stays 10 degrees warmer than outside, Our Bounder stayed 5 and our Fiesta (bottom line) was the same as outside on colder days. Takes heat better too. Smaller double pane windows, better plugging of holes, better seals, more mass and space, probably better insulation too. If I was to guess and our R value overall is not more than 10.
But we have 3 portable electric heaters, 2 gas furnaces, and 2 heat pumps, 3 A/Cs