Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #15

I had the 35C which is a longer coach. The "wheelie bars" under the coach would scrape occasionally due to the distance from the rear wheels. So you may not necessarily have a problem with your air bags. Like others have said, park on a level spot and dump the air. Take a ruler and measure the distance from the top of the front and rear tires to the bottom of the fenders. Then refill the air bags. It should go up 2 to 3 inches all the way around.

While the air compressor is filing the bags you'll hear it over the engine noise going "chunka chunka chunka" until you hear the pressure relief valve go "whoosh". The compressor will then cut out and you won't hear it going again for a while. That means the system is holding pressure. The gauges on your dash should be around 120 PSI for both air systems.

When in doubt, call Freightliner. They are very helpful and will talk you through to determine if you have a problem or not. I don't have the number handy but all you need is your Coach VIN and they will do the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnaof Two View Post
They fill but it seems they are not staying full. Our back end seems low and scraps on dips. Why would they not be holding air? Something I can do or does it need to go to the shop?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
The two loops on the backend underneath the unit. Pulling into gas stations and stuff. We made it home and will get it into the shop asap. The rid home was very rough and quite loud. We felt every bump in the road.
Nonnaof Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
The two loops on the backend underneath the unit. Pulling into gas stations and stuff. We made it home and will get it into the shop asap. The rid home was very rough and quite loud. We felt every bump in the road.

Let us know what they discover.....inquiring minds need to know!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Let us know what they discover.....inquiring minds need to know!
Thanks everyone, we have an appointment for next week. We think the back driver side airbag is not inflating. Can you tell me approximate cost on this? By driving home could we have done other damage? No warning lights or alarms triggered. Any idea what caused this? It's a 2014 33a excursion. Just turned over 16 K miles. Bought it end of April. Have put almost 4,000 miles on it.
Judy
Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks everyone, we have an appointment for next week. We think the back driver side airbag is not inflating. Can you tell me approximate cost on this? By driving home could we have done other damage? No warning lights or alarms triggered. Any idea what caused this? It's a 2014 33a excursion. Just turned over 16 K miles. Bought it end of April. Have put almost 4,000 miles on it.
Judy
I still suspect you have a defective air leveling valve. If that's the limit of your repairs, your looking 2 or 3 hundred.

Not to be a buzzkill but my concern is the loud harsh noise was the extreme angle the driveshaft was at with the bags deflated. This can cause oil seal and maybe bearing damage in transmission and rear axle. The drive shaft may have been hitting a frame crossmember.

Are you taking it to a truck repair shop?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, a Freightliner truck repair. Not many options in our little town.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #21

Hi, I think that when you first in YellowStone forgot to raise the coach and ended up driving it without air in the airbags you caused a leak in one or more of the airbags ! Unfortunately it is very easy to do (ask how I know )
Now the compressor can not keep up and hold up the suspension as it should !

You really should not have driven it at all but all you can do now is hope that the damage is limited to the bags and the height limiter valves ?

The front and the rear are mostly seperate systems so with luck it should be just two bags and one valve, plus whatever you may have bend or twisted driving, hopefully nothing !!!

Good luck with it.

Best regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #22

When we had our Excursion I could fit it in our small driveway. But I had to back it in, couldn't drive in forward because of those rear skid bars. The evidence of the first attempt and parking face in still sits in the streetClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465125977.230697.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	129189
Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
On my coach, if I forget to raise the coach up or inflate the airbag system, as soon as I put the transmission in drive the bags automatically begin to inflate. I don't remember any alarms for the suspension system.

Like Tha_Rooster, I am kind wondering about the stabilizers. Could they be partially down? Now that alarm will get your attention! If you attempted to drive off with the stabilizers down, some $$$ damage could have been done.
Turns out it was the rear airbag on the drivers side. Good news our extended warranty paid for it.
Thank you all for all the incredible advice and handholding.
Judy