Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rough loud ride

First trip for us ever, just bought a 2014 33A excursion. While traveling in Yellowstone, our second day seems very loud and rough. Seems like it is getting worse. We forgot to raise the coach before taking off this morning. An alarm went off so we pulled over and realized the problem. Raised it up and moved on. Did we damage something? Is it serious? What should we do? Any advice is appreciated. We are heading home tomorrow, but only if it is safe.
Thanks Judy
Nonnaof Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Check and make sure all the air bags are aired up. I doubt you hurt anything. Odd that any noise is getting louder though.
sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #3

[QUOTE=Nonnaof Two;3090892]First trip for us ever, just bought a 2014 33A excursion. While traveling in Yellowstone, our second day seems very loud and rough. Seems like it is getting worse. We forgot to raise the coach before taking off this morning. An alarm went off so we pulled over and realized the problem. Raised it up and moved on. Did we damage something? Is it serious? What should we do? Any advice is appreciated. We are heading home tomorrow, but only if it is safe.

Thanks Judy[/

If you are still hearing loud noises after raising unit and still driving it I would guess you still have a jack down or your not aired up all the way. Have you visually looks at jacks to make sure they are up and were they are supposed to be and not bent over.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #4

On my coach, if I forget to raise the coach up or inflate the airbag system, as soon as I put the transmission in drive the bags automatically begin to inflate. I don't remember any alarms for the suspension system.

Like Tha_Rooster, I am kind wondering about the stabilizers. Could they be partially down? Now that alarm will get your attention! If you attempted to drive off with the stabilizers down, some $$$ damage could have been done.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #5

You mean louder and rougher than before you drove with the suspension down? I found my 2014 Excursion 35C was always loud and rough.

Pull over so where flat (and safe) and dump the air bags while standing outside. You should see it lower a couple of inches. Then run your leveling Jack's up and make sure they're working right. Retract the jacks (there is a jacks down light on your control panel) and put your airbags control back to auto.

Also, look at the jack pads and make sure they are not scraped up on the bottom. If all that is good, you're probably ok. But you may want to check with a service center to make sure
Old 05-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We retract the stabilizers every time. Never attempted to drive with them down. However when we retract them with the auto retract some of the lights still flash as if they are still down. It looks like they are up. How do I test the airbags to be sure they are aired up all the way? Is it visual?
Thanks again
Judy
Old 05-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnaof Two View Post
We retract the stabilizers every time. Never attempted to drive with them down. However when we retract them with the auto retract some of the lights still flash as if they are still down. It looks like they are up. How do I test the airbags to be sure they are aired up all the way? Is it visual?
Thanks again
Judy
You can tell if the bags are inflated by observing the clearance between the tire and the wheel well. When inflated there will be a 2 inch (or so) gap. When deflated the tire will be very close or even under the wheel well. The rig will also start ejecting air from the air ride system (when inflated). I observe my coach raising and the driver side rear is the last to come up. Your last walk around should confirm air bags inflated and jacks raised. Also turn off the leveling jack panel when you are done using it or the lights will continue to flash. Unless the coach is level.

The rough ride is a combination of the sachs shocks and Goodyear tires. Michelin tires and Koni shocks improve the ride 300%.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you, this was extremely helpful.
What is recommended if the bags are not filling? What is a probable cause?
Judy
Old 05-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #9

Rough loud ride

I would try dumping air and redo filling procedure. Don't drive if the aren't filled.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Airbags

They fill but it seems they are not staying full. Our back end seems low and scraps on dips. Why would they not be holding air? Something I can do or does it need to go to the shop?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:50 AM   #11

Either air bag or hose busted probably. Needs to go to shop. Wouldn't drive very far.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnaof Two View Post
They fill but it seems they are not staying full. Our back end seems low and scraps on dips. Why would they not be holding air? Something I can do or does it need to go to the shop?

Sounds like you have a bigger leak than your compressor can fill. What scraps on dips?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
...my $.02 is coach should not be driven very far and only at low speed. The "loud" you hear and feel sounds like the driveshaft vibration due to extreme angle due to air suspension not bringing coach to ride height.

It can and will damage transmission, rear axle and driveshaft. It maybe hitting a frame cross-member as well.

If air bags or lines had extreme leak unit would not be able to hold air PSI and parking brakes would come on. My guess is you've got a air leveling valve defective.

Either way the unit needs some attention asap. Right now you've got a few hundred $ repair that could quickly turn into a few thousand
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #14

The more I thought about this I would agree with mackwrench. I'm thinking its a leveling valve issue.