Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Rubber Roof Coating

Hi everyone - we purchased our '97 Fleetwood Flair last fall from the previous owner who used it very little (only had 30,000 miles). I've been reading many of the posts on this forum (and the outstanding help supplied) and now need to ask your help. The roof looked in pretty good shape when purchased (at least to these untrained eyes), however, this spring I got up on top to check things out and found that a fairly large area of coating (about 2 square feet) has peeled off. The black rubber is now exposed. In other areas the coating is still intact but has bubbles and looks like I could just peel them off very easily. The black rubber that is exposed looks to be in good shape and we do not have any leaks. I have spoken with a repair place and, without seeing the RV, they said I need to have the whole roof replaced down to the wood. I asked why it couldn't just be recoated and they said that the new coating wouldn't adhere properly.

Does this sound right to you? I mean if it has to be done, OK, but I would prefer to avoid a $5000 job for a recoating for a few hundred that I can probably do myself. I checked on-line and was thinking of using the Dicor Rubber Roof system (primer/cleaner first then the acrylic coating).

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this!
klep4psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #2

bump
i'd love to know some opinions on this as well
noripcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Based on what I have seen happen in the past, once the bond has broken between the top and second layer there is no repair that will hold for long. My father was able to hold off replacement for two years but wound up replacing roof. There may be some that have had better luck. We replaced his EPDM with TPO and it is now in the hands of a new owner. Dad and Mom both being 89 years young qiut RVing last year.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote