Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Rubber roof coating, how long should it last

Just wondering how long the coating on a rubber roof should last?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The EDPM membrane can last 40 years or more. It does require periodic maintenance of cleaning, a proper coating, and caulking all hatches, vents, etc. that come through it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #3

What he said. Mine sits outside 24 /7 I do clean the roof a couple of times a year ad check the caulking at that time. I also check inside for any leaks when it is raining.
Good Luck and Happy Camping
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks that is good information.

My question really is how long should the protective coatings last. How often does it need to be reapplied?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
A lot depends on your environment. When the black EDPM membrane is showing through the white sealer, it's time to recoat it. Usually about 3 years in most places.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A lot depends on your environment. When the black EDPM membrane is showing through the white sealer, it's time to recoat it. Usually about 3 years in most places.
Ok, thanks, I would have expected more. I will keep a closer eye on it now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
This is the after the second coat. full project update once I have created my web page on the project. I did call Dicor for advice but have not heard back from them

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Guess what, I heard back from Dicor. They said no problems with the overnight for the second coat (because of the cool overnight temperatures) .

On the drying instructions they said they want the roof totally dry after the Cleaner/Activator, and between the first and second coat of the Acrylic they want it just dry enough to walk on, but not fully cured.

This is exactly what I had.

On the amount used, they state the 125 Sq. Ft. coverage because they do not want anyone to run out half way through the project. The amount I used is fine based on the smoothness of the roof, the temperature of the day and the way it was applied.

Hurrah!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #9

Glenn,
That's good info to know and your roof looks great! How many gallons did you use for the two coats?

Thanks for the info!
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
Glenn,
That's good info to know and your roof looks great! How many gallons did you use for the two coats?

Thanks for the info!
Two gallons of the Acrylic Coating.

I have put the whole project up on my web site but have not added as yet to my project thread here.

You can preview the whole project at this link, will be adding it to IRV2 shortly.
https://www.lever-family-racing.com/...ant-2017-10-22

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #11

Glenn,

I enjoy the no nonsense style you use to describe your projects, and the amount of detail you provide. I know it takes a lot of your time to post - thank you for doing so and sharing!

Reseal my roof is the next project for me now that it's finally feeling like fall here. I'll do just as you did except I don't think I will cover the sides with plastic based on the amount of time it takes. Will instead rinse the sides really well for the cleaning part, and apply the product very carefully.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #12
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
Glenn,

I enjoy the no nonsense style you use to describe your projects, and the amount of detail you provide. I know it takes a lot of your time to post - thank you for doing so and sharing!

Reseal my roof is the next project for me now that it's finally feeling like fall here. I'll do just as you did except I don't think I will cover the sides with plastic based on the amount of time it takes. Will instead rinse the sides really well for the cleaning part, and apply the product very carefully.
Thanks for the kind words.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #13

If you are monitoring this forum and still own the RV cited with this thread, how is the unit's EPDM coating holding up?

Following the Dicor instructions, I applied two coats of the Dicor Rubber (EPDM) Roof Coating on the roof of my 2005 Nomad 5ver, after using the activator/cleaner. I did this in mid October on dry sunny day, temps between 70-85F, here in AZ. I inspected the results at twice since and all appeared very nice. However, yesterday, 15 January 2022, I went up to the roof to do an inspection after high winds move through the area the previous couple days. No evidence of damage or debris on the roof, however there are two air bubbles the size of a grapefruit and one the size of a baseball (they are not raised much, but noticeable) between the access ladder rails, at the veray back end of the roof, that seem to be under either the second coat of the coating, not the actual EPDM Roof material.

Any guidance or thoughts are appreciated.
IronDuke II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof