Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Question S.Wind 32, Flourescent watts??

Hello All....
Just replaced 1/2 of our light fixtures (the double ones) with LED, this way, 1stlight is LED, then can turn on second reg. incand. if on shore power(120v). My Question: Anyone know what the power "watts/wattage" draw is for the standard ceiling double long bulb flourescent is? Or the aproximate watts? Trying to determine if I can leave these lights(2) alone, for dry camping/boondocking. We would only have one of these on for a short time for dinner prep, or project. They throw alot of light, and the LED,s are a little on the dimmer side. That's why I have 1 bulb led, 1 reg 1136. Flourescent light with two bulbs, standard ceiling unit, is plenty bright and always understood them to be more efficient in the wattage usage. Anyone know @ watts for these??
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my list to check those.
Yesterday I put the clamp on ammeter on one of the halogen "hockey puck" lights, I was shocked to see that sucker drawing 1.65 AMPS!!! Our coach has near 2 dozen of those!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

If I remember corrrectly it they draw a little over 2 amps on the amp meter. The two tube fluroscent.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #4

Figure that the typical incandescent bulb runs at about 18 watts. The 18" T8 fluorescents with 2 tubes runs 30 about watts (2 15 watt bulbs).

LED and fluorescent light produces about 4 times the light per watt of an incandescent.

See LED lighting – DIY strip lights for a bit on this and links to where you can find out more.

The biggest advantage of LED over fluorescent is that you can use a lower light level that has more directionality to put the light just where you need it.

Replacing incandescent bulbs, or even fluorescent bulbs with LED substitutes doesn't really take full advantage of the LED benefits as the fixtures are for a different type of light source.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote