Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #1

Screen door not staying attached to door

Is it possible to adjust the screen door so it will stay attached to the back of the door when I open the door to the MH?

Some of the time my screen door will stay attached to the door when I open it but lately the two hang up together and I have to pull hard on the door to open, leaving the screen still closed to the motor home. I replaced the mechanism earlier this year and it worked for a while but lately, the screen door is staying latched (closed) to the motor home. I see the problem, the screen door latch is not closing when it is attached to the back of the door thereby it is catching or trying to stay latched to the MH.

Is this a common problem or can it be adjusted to work properly?

b1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm guessing that you adjusted the small screw in the door that holds the screen door latch in the open position.

I fooled around with mine several times till I figured out that the door seal was not installed properly. It was pulled around the top radius so tight that it was causing the door to hang. Had a couple of "oh shoot" (or words similar) when entering.

I pulled the seal loose and worked it up and around the radius. Used a hair dryer to help soften and slowly got it into position. Ended up with the seal being about an inch plus short on the bottom but I figured I would deal with it later.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I'm guessing that you adjusted the small screw in the door that holds the screen door latch in the open position.

I fooled around with mine several times till I figured out that the door seal was not installed properly. It was pulled around the top radius so tight that it was causing the door to hang. Had a couple of "oh shoot" (or words similar) when entering.

I pulled the seal loose and worked it up and around the radius. Used a hair dryer to help soften and slowly got it into position. Ended up with the seal being about an inch plus short on the bottom but I figured I would deal with it later.

I might not have adjusted that screw. Is it on the screen door? Iíll check when I go home.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #4

Mine doesnít have a screw unless this will back outClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	201392
Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
The screw that I'm talking about is a small screw in the door that depresses the screen door latch push button. It keeps the screen door from latching so it can swing with the door.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

In the picture, the knob in the center of the photo is what pushes on the screen door release. I don't think mine will unscrew out. It needs to come out to do what you are describing.

I going to go out and see if I can get this knob to unscrew. Can't hurt anything, it's not working right.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #7

This piece will not adjust. I might have the wrong hardware.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #8

Help! need a screen door holding latch
Check out this thread. Help! need a screen door holding latch
Fatboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a lot of trouble with mine on my 2003 PA. The plastic latch (dumb design) had some minor adjustment capability up and down, but the problem was solved when I drilled a new hole to the right or left (can't remember which) It made the latch hold just a little bit tighter.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

I ended up ordering a new screen door latch and it looks like it is going to work. The one I had was the probably the original one and it had worn the washer down and no longer held the screen door tight to the door.

The link was good Fatboy69 gave. Looks like putting one of those caps on would have worked. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #11

I also found the the small rod in the screen door handle was starting to bend. I guess from the door shutting hard and not pushing the latch open all the way. Straightened it out so it pushes the door latch farther in turn keep it from not catching and pulling and weakening the the screen door holder. Just look closely at how it works if when the two doors are locked together. The screen door latch should be completely disengaged.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #12

Thanks racer26
Old 05-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same experience as racer26. The design is junk and I can see it happening over and over again.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #14

Yes, I found mine bent too and I thought it was from the previous owner not installing correctly.

Tags
door, scr