Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sealing up the Roof - Problems 2000 Southwind

I have been resealing the roof on our 2000 Fleetwood Southwind. I used the Etrnaboond tape to seal up the seams on the front and rear and also along the length of the RV, those went without a problem. I also went over the old sealant with Etrnabond tape on the skylight, 1 antenna and 2 vents.
Well here is where I ran into a problem. I did not realize until after the fact that all the vents, antenna and skylight sealant had been coated with something that was white. It was most likely silicon based coating because I have now discovered the Etrnabond tape not sticking around the skylight and antenna, the tape on the 2 vents and the end caps looks good, so far. All areas were cleaned with acetone before applying the Etrnabond tape.

How I discovered that the tape was not sticking was I went out and was inspecting the roof. I pushed on the tape around the skylight and water came out, the tape lifted right up and the Dicor also lifted up and had water under it. It looked like the original was not allowing water into the RV, there was patch work done over the years, the Dicor and other stuff had to be close to an inch is some areas. So I took everything off, which took me 5 hours.

I did not have any Dicor lap sealant on hand so I used the Etrnabond Sealant; it says it will last 8 or more years. I know there are many schools of thought on how to seal up an RV Roof. I hear everyone talk about using the Dicor lap sealant and the Etrnabond tape. I’m not against using Dicor but I do see where the Dicor could give some false protection as it did in my case, it was hard to see but the Dicor was not sealing to the roof fully, at least not the patches but the original was as I found out as I removed it. Not sure how to approach sealing up the skylight, antenna and other vents and AC.

I’m first thinking that I will remove all the old Dicor and whatever the white coating is to ensure I have a good clean surface for the sealant to stick to. That will take some time. Then not sure if I should use the Etrnabond Sealant or the Dicor Lap Sealant. Then once the sealant cures for say 30 days should I go over the new sealant with Etrnabond tape.

I’m not the original owner and not sure exactly when the roof was serviced, that is one reason I decided to do it. I don’t like the idea of putting the Etrnabond tape over the old sealant as mine has been coated or applying the Etrnabond tape without applying sealant as a first line of defense. Is applying the sealant and tape over kill. Has anyone ever used the Etrnabond Sealant. What to get peoples thoughts on what I should do.

Thanks
John
USMC
1981-1993
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

You have a solution and it is not too far. Rvroof.com. Have a look and decide if you rig is worth it. We really like ours and if I have a roof problem, I will be headed to Jacksonville. Good luck from Hartsville.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #3

John, before you go into all kinds of troubele, get an all purpose tool at sears which has a scraper blade on it. It will take off the existing sealent in a heartbeat. After removing, clean with laquer thinner. Let completely dry then apply the tape. Silicone is your enemy. I did not apply the sealant before tape. The flatter the tape the better. Use a seam roller they use for wallpaper to press tape.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, southwind