Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #1

Second DirecTV hookup

Other than another tv and another directv box, what and how do we hook up our 2nd (bedroom) tv to direct tv so the wife can watch what she wants to watch. Do we splice in on the top (exterior) where the antennae is? What parts will we need? We have a 2003 Pace Arrow 37B

Thanks for any help!
Cliff and Gail

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
yu'll need a another wire from antenna to tv location and another reciever. thats the way my dish setup works. good luck.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you confused folks.. You have DirecTV, Satellite TV.. So, a question.. Do you use a Roof Mounted antenna, if so Dome or Dish type, and if not then you must use a Ground mount (Even if it's bolted to the bumper).. By the way I have seen one rig that had a small collection of hitch receivers and he mounted his dish on either the front or back receiver.. Very neat hook up.

Back to topic

The hook up to the TV is per the manual.. If you have a "Standard" receiver (NOT HI-DEF) then it should have a TV-ANT-IN jack. unhook the existing antenna cable from the TV and connect it here

Run Brand New RG-6 to a 2nd connector next to the existing connector for your antenna (This assumes ground mount, I'll cover roof mounts in a mintue) and from there you will run RG-6 to the other port on the antenna's LNB.

The TV-OUT on the sat receiver goes to the television's antenna fitting.. Also if the TV has A/V or Component inputs, and the receiver has matching outputs, you can hook those up too.

Roof Mounts.

First determine if your LNB is a single or dual..

Dish type antenna.

WHEN YOU REMOVE THE LNB shroud (Usually plastic surrounds the LNB on all but the lens side) you will see one or two coax fittings, ONE will have a cable on it.. If there is but one you are screwed.. It's a single.. If there are two.. You run your new Coax (RG-6) line to that fitting.. Just follow the original installer's lead.

If you have a DOME,, Contact the manufacturer, Domes come in both Single and Dual LNB types (NOTE: Dual simply means 2 active coax fittings and can run 2 or more receivers (2 straight, more with a switch) TWO LNB's like Dish uses,,,,that's called a TWIN)

I realize this is confusing.. but if you tell us more about your antenna I can simplify a bit.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #4

Thank you for replying. We have a Winegard Dish. Direct tv with two boxes/receivers. We also have this ( below ) in a unit along side the VCR/DVD player, it doesn't have a name or discription on it. It is approx. 6" high, 12" deep and 20" across the face of it. The items below are a description of how it looks on the box. It has all push buttons on it. I should mention to you that this is Gail, Cliff isn't home right now. Does it make any sense to you? Thank you for answering me.

ANT AUX VCR----TV1
ANT AUX--------VCR
ANT AUX VCR----TV2
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your satellite tv signal does not go through the switch box (the thing that has TV1 & TV2) - that is only used to switch the batwing antenna signal, VCR signal, etc. . Assuming yours is wired like most Fleetwoods, right now both tvs are directly connected to your single satellite receiver and tuning of the station is done through that receiver, so both tvs get the same station when watching Directv via satellite. The only way to get watch two different Directv stations is to get a second Directv receiver for the second tv. But if one tv watches an over-the-air signal (via batwing antenna) or a VCR tape, then they can have different stations/content.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Your satellite tv signal does not go through the switch box (the thing that has TV1 & TV2) - that is only used to switch the batwing antenna signal, VCR signal, etc. . Assuming yours is wired like most Fleetwoods, right now both tvs are directly connected to your single satellite receiver and tuning of the station is done through that receiver, so both tvs get the same station when watching Directv via satellite. The only way to get watch two different Directv stations is to get a second Directv receiver for the second tv. But if one tv watches an over-the-air signal (via batwing antenna) or a VCR tape, then they can have different stations/content.

Thanks Gary, We already have the two Directv Receivers. So would I just hook up the second receiver to the back of the bedroom tv and then the tv cable to the to the receiver box?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, with the Winegard make sure that the LNB is a dual.. I do not know if it's a single or a dual (My Winegard dish is a single, but it is a table-top not a roof top) Duals have TWO Coax fittings..

If so, just run the 2nd cable to the 2nd fitting and you are good to go

And again, Please, use RG-6, not 59... And get good cable, though for a short run it is not as important as a long run.. Still, do it right, Please.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can probably leave the tv antenna coax going right to the tv. Your 2nd satellite receiver can be wired to one of the the tv's other inputs, e.g. RGB if it has one. But running to to the satellite receiver should be ok too. You would just need to have the receiver powered up to watch antenna tv.

Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote