Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2004, 06:26 PM   #1

I CRAWLED UNDER MY 1990 34C BOUNDER TO CHECK ON SHOCKS. FOUND COIL SPRINGS AND AIR BAGS AND NO SHOCKS. WHEN I HIT A BUMP LOOKS LIKE MY DASHBOARD IS COMING OUT. TRIED EVERYTHING FROM 20# TO 60 IN BAGS. NO BETTER. I WAS TOLD THE UNIT CAME WITH SHOCKS. I AM TALKING FRONT END. I LOOKED AGAIN AND SEE NO PLACE TO EVEN PUT SHOCKS. APPRECIATE ANY HELP.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2004, 06:26 PM   #2

SHOCKS

I CRAWLED UNDER MY 1990 34C BOUNDER TO CHECK ON SHOCKS. FOUND COIL SPRINGS AND AIR BAGS AND NO SHOCKS. WHEN I HIT A BUMP LOOKS LIKE MY DASHBOARD IS COMING OUT. TRIED EVERYTHING FROM 20# TO 60 IN BAGS. NO BETTER. I WAS TOLD THE UNIT CAME WITH SHOCKS. I AM TALKING FRONT END. I LOOKED AGAIN AND SEE NO PLACE TO EVEN PUT SHOCKS. APPRECIATE ANY HELP.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:52 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Richard:

Believe it or not the law requires that a vehicle have shock absorbers at each corner. I know that a GM chassis has shocks because I just help my friend replace the shocks and brakes three weeks ago on his 90, 31ft Winnebago. (100? heat) The shocks are more than likely worn out and should be replaced with a good gas shock. If it is missing it may have fallen off, I have seen some on the side of the road over the years. That should help the dash and proposing. They are located to the rear of the "A"¯ arms.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just in from Workhorse Custom Chassis.

I don't know why there are no shocks under this guys coach. That really doesn't make any sense. I know that we've never built a unit without shocks and I couldn't see GM doing that either.

Keep looking Richard
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #5

I have a '89 30 foot Bounder on a Chev. P-30 Chassis. I've replaced the air bags inside the front coils, the front shocks and steering stabilizer. A very easy job. My front air bags require a min of 40 psi and a max of 90psi. I generally run 70 to 80 psi which make the ride a little stiff but it helps with big bumps.
Popeye44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you have a REALLY BIG rodent problem and the mice ate 'em.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #7

i finally figured out somebody put air bags and took off the shocks. fixing to put some bilsteins on. are monroe gas magnums as good as bilsteins????????
Old 09-23-2004, 02:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NUJAC435:
.... fixing to put some bilsteins on. are monroe gas magnums as good as bilsteins ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Might be a difficult question to answer. One fact though is that the Monroe RV Magnums cost less and I believe they are some what less firm from what I see here in the forums from folks that have installed them.

You certainly can't go wrong with Bilsteins in fact Bilsteins have been and are original equipment on P-32 series motorhomes.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:35 AM   #9

A question un related to Bounder shocks, but to shocks just the same. My 2005 Dakota 8275C 5er do's not have shocks installed.Will they make any noticable difference in ride, control, etc. or are they actually needed?

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:56 AM   #10

Check to see if you have any broken shock brackets on the "A' frame. P-30's were known to break the bottom bracket, especially if heavy duty type shocks were installed.

Possibly the previous owner just pulled the shocks instead of re-welding the brackets---strange.

Both of mine had to be beefed up to handle the Bilsteins.
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote