RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #1

short term winterizing

So now my next question.

Over the winter I'm going to be staying in my Providence on and off as I continue to try and sell my house and get moved over to indianapolis.

I'm staying in it two to four nights a week and then maybe 2+ weeks without staying in it.

I've drained the water as best I could and I have a heated inlet hose that I disconnect when I'm not there. What I do is disconnect the city water. turn all the faucets on, open both drains at the water service panel and turn the waterpump on until the water isn't coming out. I'm not sure I'm getting hte water heater and other stuff cleared. As there have been a couple freezing nights and I haven't been there I hope I'm not in for a surprise when i get back

What do you guys suggest as a quick way to to a "winterise" when I leave for a while. If I'm over for 2-4 days I leave the heat and everything on.

How throrough do I need to be? Is one of the pressurised line blowerouters that connects to the city inlet a worthwhile thing?

a johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I used to have a mobile home in the mountains. We stayed in it on weekends until the snow came in the fall. The temperatures were well below freezing before we would winterize it late November.
We had "heat tape" on the water inlet hose. and any plumbing outside the home susceptible to the weather. We set the electric furnace thermostat to 60 degrees and never had any freeze problems even with the ambient temperature into the 'teens overnight.
You did not state what kind of heat you have, so you may have to adapt.
I fear, that without proper winterization of your unit, you may be asking for trouble...... even if it is not occupied for only a couple of days a week.

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your water heater won't empty the way you describe, nor will the washer dryer or ice maker lines. But if you leave the heat on in the coach and it doesn't get extremely cold, you are probably ok with the washer and heater. The ice maker fill valve is in an exposed compartment, though, so that is at risk.

Your waste tanks are also at risk if not emptied and the temps go below around 28 degrees for several hours. But you an add some antifreeze to them - use the RV "potable water" type so you don't have to worry about pollution when you dump the tanks.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you do as described above you may regret not going the extra mile to ensure you have antifreeze in all the lines and that the water heater is drained.

I take a trip south around Christmas each year and I tried to put off the winterization the first year but as the temps hovered below freezing I realized that simply blowing the water out was going to greet me with burst lines so I pumped antifreeze into it and then just cleaned it out before our trip.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are plugged into electric leave your water heater on, LP house heating system on 55-60, inside cabinets under the counters open, disconnect the outside water lines, make sure all entry areas are tight under the coach. If the temps are going down to below freezing don't turn the heat off without fully winterizing unless you want freezing pipes.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

I have a 2010 40g fleetwood and while i live in florida the coach is kept in colorado. I live on it 2 weeks a month. You can leave water in motorhome as long as you are running the gas heat. Set the temp for 50 plus degrees as the lines are inside bus and underneath floor they will stay warm. To save on gas run your hot water heater on electric. This will work so long as you are plugged in to at least 30 amp power as the batteries will wear down if you are not plugged in. I have found that upon my returns to colorado i still have half a tank of propane. This would change significantly if the weather conditions made the heat run 24 hours a day. hope this helps

lawndog1 is offline   Reply With Quote