Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #1

Slide Awning for Discovery 40G

We've put a deposit on a 2015 Discovery 40G Bunk Model. I've spent several hours going through every system I can imagine on the coach. The only problems I've identified so far are:

1) Stairwell cover by passenger seat closes but will not open. Something seems to be disconnected as you can press the control and the cover will extend an cover the stairwell, but it will not retract. The dealer's service department has promised to fix.

2) Both Slides are very noisy when going in and out. The 40 G has a relatively small slide on the driver's side, but almost basically a full wall slide on the passenger's side. When retracted, it does not seem to want to go back out for some reason. Maybe the coach has to be completely leveled before the drive will engage? Not sure, but the service guy will be looking at that too.

3) The coach was sitting overnight with both slides extended when I came to look at it yesterday. Both slide awnings were full of water and sagging. When I retracted the driver's side (smaller of the slides) the water poured out the edge of the slide onto the ground. But when I retracted the main slide, the awning apparently got caught under the top seal of the slide and actually got pulled into the coach. Water poured inside the coach on by the passenger's seat and back on the rug by the main bedroom. The salesman and I got rolls of paper towels and dried everything up, but I don't think you have to be a genius to realize this is not the way the awning is supposed to work.

Shouldn't both of these awnings be tight enough to keep water from pooling in them? And even if they were full, why would the awning get jammed like it did such that water came into the coach?

Obviously this has to get fixed before we take delivery, but I was wondering if anyone has had simlar experiences with either Fleetwood Discoverys or any other FWS awnings? If so, what was wrong and how was if fixed?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
1. Yep, something not right on that one

2.Likely adjustment, alignment and lube is in order. On ours jacks must be down, engine running before slides will move.

3. New awnings required...IMHO they shouldn't stretch that much

Nope, we haven't had those issues.
Brian
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Yes yes yes MH should have been leveled before opening slides.
Once a topper has stretched and is making a little swimming pool it will always be trouble.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

was told by dealership side MUST be extended BEFORE leveling and gutting air.... otherwise floor may crack.... MHSRV said this when I took delivery last week
Taterpeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Respectfully disagree with what the dealer said. Right from the Discovery owners manual:
For operation of any slide-out room the following is required:
• Park the RV and level it for stationary use.
• Ignition on (engine running)
• Transmission in park or neutral
• Parking brake engaged
• Slide-out key or switch activated (If equipped)
• Battery Voltage must be over 13.0 Volts
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterpeeler View Post
was told by dealership side MUST be extended BEFORE leveling and gutting air.... otherwise floor may crack.... MHSRV said this when I took delivery last week

Another qualified dealer, follow and only follow manufacture instructions.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

There are instructions right next to the slide switch that say to level before extending the slide. Fleetwood couldn't be any clearer.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:25 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterpeeler View Post

Your dealer tech must have been used to going over Newmars or Entegras - those two slides first. Fleetwood and almost every other maker, is extend slides then level.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NO, ALWAYS level then put slides out. What if you are "way" out of level and the frame is twisted?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #10

I have an 08 40X Discovery and sometimes the water gets driven under the slide topper and lays on top of slide. If you pull in the slide it will come in and dump inside soon as you pull away and hit the brakes you can get a shower. If I am moving after a heavy rain especially if wind driven I will bring up jackets and let it runoff before closing the slides. I know you are not supposed too but I have done it many times without a problem. If not you will probably get wet if those conditions exist and there is no other way to get it off but to hope you are unlevel enough for it to let it drain.
redbill1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #11

We also have an issue with water under the slide toppers. Thank God DW was not with me when I discovered it, the co-pilot seat got soaked. I have observed that some of the water actually wraps around the topper and drips off the underside onto the slide. If it has rained, I raise either the front or back of the coach with the jacks to get the water to run off. This prevents any twisting of the frame which could cause a problem with the slide. After the water runs off I retract the slides and dump the jacks. I will also stand on the seats and place a couple of junk towels across the top of the slides to insure no one gets a shower.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide