Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slide out hitting floor

I took a trip this weekend and boon docked at a music festival and had a blast. Only Issue I had while out was that the circuit that charges the batteries kept tripping. I figured out it was getting hot, not enough ventilation, once I lifted the bed up and gave it more air it ran great for hours. Guess I need to put in a fan to exhaust the hot air. I don't think any of this has to do with the issue I experienced when I reported home.

I leveled up the coach and connected all the utilities. When I was letting out the side I heard some cracking noise so I stopped. I discovered the bottom kitchen cabinet on the left with the 2 removable access panels was dragging on the floor causing the cabinet to start to break, thank goodness it was at the joint and just screwed popped out. I briefly looked and did not see any apparent problems causing the issue. The right side looks fine. I can fit a finger under the right side of the side until I am about 6 ft from the left also the slide, it goes from .5 in on right to 1/8 in on the left. also the cabinet that has the access panels is touching the floor at the one end and about 1/8 in at the other. So it seems that the left side is now sitting lower then it once did.

Any ideas what might be causing this issue, maybe a broken slider glide or a guide wheel. Any ideas how to trouble shoot this issue.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

It could be one of the guides or wheels the slider rides on is damaged or breaking down, depending on the slide type. Slides are typically fully adjustable, however, and it might be time to have a dealer to RV service center check out both the rollers, guides and the adjustment.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
yep, im pretty sure in that year each slide was on rollers.. I've had one just crumble.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
If I have rollers any one know how to access them.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
I looked last night and saw a plastic guide on the left and right side of the cabinets under them. The left guide I can see full view of and I do not see any damage, cracks, shifting of any kind on or around the areas.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you see a roller on the good side?
a roller is best, but you coach could have low friction pads.

Dan
Old 07-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Looks like friction pads no rollers. I put a coat hanger under the slide and did not feel any thing else. I only see 2 friction pads, on the left and right of the kitchen cabinets.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Resolved

Today I took another look at the slide motor and slide mechanism and all looked good. I then put shims under the cabinets to lift them up a little so I could get a better look underneath and see if i could see any issues. I then let the slide out about 3 in and went out side to check the slide. I noticed that it was leaning in some on the top more then the bottom by about 1/2 in. I then tried to release the slide top cover and was unable. I got the ladder and got up and released the cover and the slide top moved out. Now the slide was even from top to bottom. I then went inside and looked at the bottom left of the cabinets and could see about 1/4 more space. I was able to now move the slide out completely.

I had a small water leak on the trip and when I returned home I noticed some of the slide cover was in the seal, I got it out and locked the cover and forgot to unlock when i went to let the slide out later that day

Lesson learned = always pay attention when when performing tasks like letting out the slide or bringing it in. Stop if you hear unusual sounds or noises, investigate and resolve the issue. In this case it was user error, but glade I noticed the sound of the cabinet dragging on the floor and stopped.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #9

Thanks for the update John. I have a number of checks I do everytime we open/close the slide. Can do some damage in a hurry if not careful!

Tags
slide, slide out