RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #1

Slide roller damage

Slide rollers damaging tile floor. How do I protect floor?

Tks

ssgwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The most important thing is to make sure the rollers are clean. They can be REALLY hard to get to but if you let them get dirty, all that dirt becomes just like sandpaper or worse and really wears the floor. Even with keeping them clean though, I do get some wear on the roller path and particularly in the spot where they sit on the floor while the slide is in going down the road.

f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Have you checked to make sure you have rollers instead of a skid on the slide. I'd look to see if the rollers are seized up. Thats my best suggestion.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Have rollers. They roll and are clean. Problem is the vibration riding down the road cause scratches on tile from the rollers.
ssgwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've heard others say if you put a thin piece of vinyl on your floor where the rollers contact the coach floor, it will protect the floor. Two strips of some vinyl flooring that you put down to retract the slide and take up when the slide is extended.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
how to protect tie floor from roller marks.

I placed some UHMW tape on the floor where the roller sits when traveling.
below is a link to the Tiffin site where I posted photos.

UHMW solution

Easy fix an the tape is barely noticeable.

Dan
Old 02-16-2015, 04:38 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My slide was on carpet so I can't help however you're under warranty and may want to contact FW. Their # is 800-322-8216.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
When they are manufacturing motorhomes there is all kind of metal fragments that fall on the floor. We found that this metal became imbedded in the rollers. When the rollers came in across the flooring, it scratched the floor. Take a flashlight and shine on the rollers and check for debris.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar ships plastic strips with their rigs now just because of that problem. Need to check the Magna tomorrow ans see what I need to do with it. It's got HWH slide mechanisms and I've never used them before.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Newmar ships plastic strips with their rigs now just because of that problem. Need to check the Magna tomorrow ans see what I need to do with it. It's got HWH slide mechanisms and I've never used them before.
If your new rig is similar to mine, CC used a Power Gear motor/gear driven slide on the large drop-down driver side LR slide. I have a bit of carpet in front of that slide so it has metal runners at the ends. Since your Magna has tile all the way to the edge of the main floor, I suspect you have rollers under that slide.

The other three slides are HWH. Both my passenger side front slide and passenger side bedroom slide are HWH scissors type mechanism and the slide bottom never touches the coach floor... it is suspended just above the main floor. The driver's side bedroom slide with the bed is also HWH and uses horizontal rams but the aluminum frame is mounted to the floor but nothing slides on the carpet.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the marks where the slide stops. New coach, 6 weeks old, I guess I will try the tape suggestion as it sounds like this is a normal problem.
Heavy-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-13 View Post
I have the marks where the slide stops. New coach, 6 weeks old, I guess I will try the tape suggestion as it sounds like this is a normal problem.
May check on warranty.
Heavy-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
If your new rig is similar to mine, CC used a Power Gear motor/gear driven slide on the large drop-down driver side LR slide. I have a bit of carpet in front of that slide so it has metal runners at the ends. Since your Magna has tile all the way to the edge of the main floor, I suspect you have rollers under that slide.

The other three slides are HWH. Both my passenger side front slide and passenger side bedroom slide are HWH scissors type mechanism and the slide bottom never touches the coach floor... it is suspended just above the main floor. The driver's side bedroom slide with the bed is also HWH and uses horizontal rams but the aluminum frame is mounted to the floor but nothing slides on the carpet.
Ours is all HWH and hydraulic according to the manuals and also by looking at the pump. But I suspect there are rollers under all the slides except the bed which is like yours and slides on the alum frame. Shame too as there's no storage under the bed except for a few bottles of wine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-13 View Post
May check on warranty.
I did the warranty check and FW fixed it with no problem.

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide