RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

Question Slide won't retract

I have a problem in my 2000 Fleetwood Southwind 36Z Class A. The living room (drivers side) slide will not retract. The bedroom (rear passenger side) slide works no problem. They usually work without engine running, not plugged in to shore power. I have tried with engine running and also generator running at the same time. They use the PowerGear mechanism.

I've researched the forums and haven't found my exact issue. The difference with my problem is that the bedroom slide works fine. On the living room slide, when I turn the key for the "Out" position it beeps as normal indicating it would extend. However, when I turn the key to the "In" position, there is no beep or mechanical noise indicating any attempt to retract.

Am I correct in assuming if it was a fuse problem that both the "In" and "Out" would be on the same fuse? Instead of a typical toggle switch, our slides are activated by a key and lock switch that you turn the key to either the left or right for "In" or "Out".

Before our problem happened, I did park the RV on gravel as a temporary 2-3 day measure and I did not level it, nor did I put the jacks down. The jacks are not a factor in the slide operation. However, reading forums the level was in question. It was sloping to the drivers side down about 3 degrees. I used the jacks to level but it still does not affect the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Benderdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

It sounds like the switch is bad.

JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #3

Check the switch with a test light..
Old 12-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
It sounds like the switch is bad.
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Check the switch with a test light..
I will try that. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Most coaches in that time period had storage bay doors that opened upward. The doors had safety interlock switches that prevented the slideouts from moving with the door open to prevent accidental damage to the door.

Even though the door is closed, the switch may be defective or need adjustment. You can bypass each door switch one at a time, trying the slideout each time.

The bedroom slide may not have the switch since there is no storage compartment below it.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #7

Smile Slide Works!

Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions. Well, I was going to check the circuit and today the slide worked just fine. Hmmm, maybe there was a disconnect in the circuit but I'll see if it was just a fluke.

Thanks again and RV on!!!

Dan
Old 12-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

I'm sure this isn't your issue but I finally figured out I need to have the key on and emergency brake on for my slides to work. I guess it's so someone doesn't open them up while cruising down the highway.
DaltonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Bad switch or loose connection. Also check the safety interlock switches mentioned earlier.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #10

slide

On my Fleetwood ,I found the circuit boards for the Power Gear were bad.
After I took them out the solder pin joints were cracked and didn't make contact.
I soldered all the pins and they work fine.Find the board for the slide in question.
power gear 14-1098

mike toon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide