RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #1

The gasoline fill rate on my new 2007 Fiesta LX is pretty bad. The best case is about 1 minute per gallon or 1hr 15mins for a complete fill. I have taken it in for service but the problem persists. I am taking the rig into another dealer next week. Any hints for the techs doing the work?

Bill Peyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #2

Common problem on several of Fleetwood's lines. It is a common topic on the Bounder forum. The dealer isn't going to correct it either.
Use your jacks to raise the rear end just slightly. Not even enough to take the tires off the ground.
If you get down and look under the rear you will find that the fill hose is a long one and a nearly flat run. raising the rear helps. When I am near home, I always fill at the same station because their drive slopes.
OBTW, While you are down under the MH, make sure the vent hose is not kinked or loose. It should be on top of the fill hose and straight. If it isn't, make it so and use a few quickie straps to secure it.

JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #3

Thanks Jerry, I did raise the front of the rig and that seemed to increase the flow rate a bit. I will try and raise the rear end next time, by using the electric jacks.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took my Terra LX 31M to Gaint RV twice for the fuel line, no help. Called Fleetwood and they sent me to RV Solutions, and they said that fleetwood had put the air line under the filler line. Also the filler line went up hill to the tank. Steve Bishop fixed to for me. Bringing it home I stopped and put in a half a tank and it worked fine. RV Solutions is in Colton Ca.
Glen Taylor Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #5

Good info Glen. Ernhardt RV just called me to say that in order to correct the slow fill problem they were going to replace the existing fuel line. The will order the parts tomorrow..
Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #6

Interesting note. I stopped in Wickenberg the other day and was able to fill the tank real fast. I think the concrete apron was sloping away from the gas dispensers.
So with great anticipation I stopped at the QT today but had the same old problem.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #7

Use your jacks to raise the rear of your coach slightly, but not to the point of raising the tires off the ground.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had the same problem on my Terra LX 31M. I took it back twice to get it fixed---there were two problems. First time, they had to cut a bit of line out of the filler hose, because as someone stated, it actually went uphill a bit before the adjustment... it was enough that I could actually see the problem. That still didn't fix it though. I took it in and the dealer spent a lot of time with the factory and then claimed that I'd have to jack it up when filling. Although that appears to be acceptable, I wasn't going to go for that solution. So, they kept digging and in the end found that the breather tube was faulty/kinked/misrouted or something. Haven't had a problem since. I've seen lots of people having this problem on the forums and I think its due to the fact that there might be two pieces complicating it. Fortunate that my dealer was pretty diligent and finally got it fixed for me. Hope 'Tex' can do the same for you!!! No Bull, right!?!?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #9

I had the same problem on my '05 Bounder, the fix was removing the vent/return hose at the filler pipe, cutting 7" off of it. There was a huge dip in it which caused a blockage if any fuel got into it, shutting off the pump. Problem solved.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #10

Good news. The dealer replaced the gas line and made sure there were no dips in it and now I can fill the tank up at max speed with no problems. Problem fixed.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #11

Turns out this was temporary. After working for a couple of fills, I am back to where I started and have great problems filling the tank even at slow rates. If I drive the motorhome (left rear wheels) up on a 5" ramp I can at lest fill at a slow rate.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If the "fix" was only temporary, then you still have a low spot in the fuel tank vent line that is getting plugged with fuel and stopping the vent process. The dealer emptied it out, so it worked a fill-up or two, but soon enough fuel splashed back into it to stop the vent again.

Many gas lines run the vent back to the filler neck just under the cap, so when fuel back splashes it runs down the vent and settles in the vent line unless there is enough angle to let it drain all the way back to the tank. Jacking up the back of the coach sometimes does that.

You may need to change the vent location so it doesn't get fuel in it all the time, but you aren't supposed to let the gas fumes vent into the atmosphere (EPA rules) and it could even be dangerous if you vented it some place where the fumes accumulated under the rear cap. Keep pushing on Fleetwood and the chassis manufacturer to provide a workable and safe solution.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #13

This does make a lot of sense. Thanks for your response. So far Fleetwood have been very co-operative. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks and now I can have the RV Tech guys really focus on a specfic solution.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Was going to chime in to say our 08 Fleetwood Fiesta has never had any slow fueling issues, possibly fixed from 07 at the factory? Not sure, but one thing is for sure, this rig is a lot of fun!!!!!

JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote