Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #15

Hi Ed H.
Sounds like your well on your way. and for the most part it sounds good what your doing, you are using a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controller I take it??? I am using the same thing and that is just fine it is a matter of opinion and $ which one is better under which circumstances, but for our use these Morning star units are great and come with a good reputation and track record, I've done my research!
Now you have to do a bit more of your own? N0.2Gauge wire sounds awfully heavy for that run down to the controller, I would think that 6.G or max 4.G would be enough but this is where your research comes in you make sure.
I know some say you can't go to Big! But I don't believe that and think that close to perfect/ideal slightly on the big side is the way to go! For that you need to know the perfect size first, so find a scale online (in your manual) measure and calculate.
The 4.0t? Battery cables maybe good enough for the run between the controller and the batteries if they are in good shape?

Hi Jim,

I like the (combiner)box on the roof idea Nifty!
You're wired up for the future and ready to plug in, no problem!
I do wonder about a; the setup of the controller and b; if you maybe hooked it up in the wrong sequence and inadvertently did some damage that caused all your problems last weekend?
I'll tell you why Since I hooked up my Solar system 5or6 days ago my Heart controller is slowly going bonkers,
Right now I have one Red light flashing and I get my Volt and Amp readout. this is on the Heart monitor, not the Solar monitor.
In the first few days It all seemed normal, 3 or 4 green, status lights depending on what I pushed/asked and all this while strictly on Solar No ShorePower!!!
But everything in the MoHo works including the Inverter!

Right now I am Equalizing the Batteries on Solar, as soon as that is finished I will Plug the MoHo in and see what the Shore Power will do, hopefully it restores the Heart's memory and everything will be back to normal.
Teaching me to ignore the Heart monitor when on Solar for accuracy but read and rely on the MorningStar monitor mounted by the Controller in the bedroom!

I HOPE! I Hope! i hope.

So How close did you follow the manual instructions when you actually hooked up (powered up) the Controller? I almost did the same thing.
Only one way to find out take of power setup controller and powerup again, Battery first,

Let Us know what you find please,

Regards,

Ed.
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
I have been wondering where the actual wiring was for the solar panel.
I want to check mine and see if it is still even in operation.

Does anyone know if the Power Gear BCC referenced earlier in this post is the one I should have in my 2000 American Eagle -- 40EVS????

thanks Dale
Yes that would be the same BCC (on the left side in the Battery compartment) but the Solar panel controller is inside that box and (not from Powergear as far as I know) but from Intellitech (according to Fleetwood) it is the PCB on the left side of the box (vertically mounted).

Regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks -- I will search for it when I am back home where the RV is in a week. --- thx again -- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
solar is on the list of upgrades I want to do too , my american tradition has the controller inside for it , but i have a modern digital one from the aftermarket , as well as 400 watts of panels , i use them free standing and store under
roadster27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, wiring