Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Southwind vs. Bounder

I’m looking at trading my fifthwheel for a newer gas class a motorhome. I initially had my heart set on tiffin, newmar or winnebago but they are a little more than I wanted to spend. I have always heard that they were better. I do like the 35k floorplan in the fleetwood. My question, what is the difference between the south wind, new bounder and bounder? Also, are you happy with your newer bounder quality and ride? I understand how these rigs are constructed and I treat my stuff with care.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

I have a 2016 southwind 34a and I love the ride and handling of it. I also like the floor plan. My only wish is too have the jackknife sofa taken out and put a wall huger love seat recliner in.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Our Bounder is six years old and has been relatively problem-free. I think Bounders are a good value as far as RVs go. I have no idea what the "New Bounder" means since it appears to be the same floorplans (with a couple of new ones added). There used to be a Bounder Classic which was a slightly downgraded version of the regular Bounder.

I have no experience with the Southwind but they are nice looking RVs.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:34 AM   #4

All three of them have different starting prices with the south wind being the highest.
I totally agree about the value. I don’t know if the tiffin is worth another $20k.
They all suffer from the same shoddy construction.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we were looking to upgrade a couple years ago, we specifically started our search with DPs, mainly because of the coach build quality. After searching for a month or so, we noticed there are some high end quality gassers with the same build quality as a DP. And the F53 fit our requirement much nicer for price and chassis maintenance familiarity..

We were very impressed with the quality of the Southwind, high end commercial grade cabinets, double pane windows, drivers door, and a lot of little niceties that we didn't even now about, remote radio controls, heated basement, etc.

Keep in mind that this is a 1999 that we bought in 2016, but we are very happy with it..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We looked at many, used Rv's one being a Southwind. Very nice vehicle. Ended up with a Bounder 35E. one difference I and wife noticed was the Southwind had no window over the sink, not much view on passenger side at all if I recall. But that was the main reason the wife said no to SW.
I do have to say owner did a good job by putting plex-a-glass over screens on screen door so he could look outside while door was open, did add a little light too. I intend to use the same idea on the Bounder too keep the door open when a bit nippy out or HOT as is this year. (AC).
Old 07-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood/Rev Group has been futzing around with brands again and now the New Bounder MSRP is above the Southwind, whereas a couple years ago is was the opposite. I suspect not much difference except maybe standard equipment - they all come down the same assembly line. You would have to compare at the detailed level for both house and chassis to figure it out. The detailed chassis info is available on the Freightliner Custom Chassis site.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

We recently moved up from a Class C to a 2014 Southwind 32VS.
We love our Southwind, the size, the appointments, the layout, the fit and finish, and to date, we've experience minimal issues.
The quality is great, and we consistently receive compliments.
We attended the Fleetwood Rally last year in Tampa, and the Fleetwood Reps explained the differences between the Bounder and the "New" Bounder, basically cosmetic.
We have been very pleased with the product, Fleetwood's communications and their Service Techs in Decatur. We and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Fleetwood Southwind.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Most people rave about the tiffin but it always comes down to taking the coach to red bay. I’m a blue collar worker and don’t have the lixury of taking time to go to red bay. If I have vacation time, I better be using my coach and not getting it fixed.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #10

Generally the Tiffin and Newmar are of better quality but you pay for that. The biggest thing I regret about the Bounder compared to those two brands is the AC noise in. Tiffin and Newmar have the superior setup.
There are lots of little differences between the Southwind and Bounder like dash layout, colors, options and price. General construction is the same and they go down the same line in Decatur
Old 07-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #11

The biggest advantage that Fleetwood has in my opinion is there network of factory service centers. OR, TX, NV, and IN. There is even a secret facility in the Long Beach area. Any class A is going to have issues, the difference between getting those issues corrected at a dealer and a factory service center has to be experienced to be appreciated.
All the Fleetwood coaches are made side by side on the same assembly line in Decatur, how much difference can their be other than what frills your willing to pay for and of course the floorplans.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #12

I like Tiffin's better sound proofing (quieter engine) and the fully-ducted A/C units which make for a quieter cabin.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I like Tiffin's better sound proofing (quieter engine) and the fully-ducted A/C units which make for a quieter cabin.
A fully ducted A/C system is not unique to Tiffin.
Fleetwood's 2014 Southwind also has the same.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
A fully ducted A/C system is not unique to Tiffin.
Fleetwood's 2014 Southwind also has the same.
Actually, the Bounder also has ducted air.

Tags
southwind, bounder