Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Starting engine

Ok this is weird, I have started my 1989 pace arrow at least 5 times this winter I flip the main battery switch to on and turn the aux off (guess they are called salesman switches) and start it so I tried to do this today and its like something is not switched when I turn the key there is nothing ive had the charger on the main battery since yesterday What am I missing here or any ideas what to check
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2.0 View Post
Ok this is weird, I have started my 1989 pace arrow at least 5 times this winter I flip the main battery switch to on and turn the aux off (guess they are called salesman switches) and start it so I tried to do this today and its like something is not switched when I turn the key there is nothing ive had the charger on the main battery since yesterday What am I missing here or any ideas what to check
I would check the battery voltage which should be at least 12.3 volts.
A bad cell or internal short would be the culprit.
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

I have nothing in the cock pit no dome lights no dash lights nothing have tried every combination of the salesman switches I also checked the dummy lights on the stove fan and the main doesn't show anything but the aux shows full charge
Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
When using and operating the RV, I leave both battery isolation switches on. When you switch them on/off, do you hear the solenoid clicking? Each solenoid usually has a fuse or two mounted on the same base. Make sure they are good. Also, check all battery and ground connections.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #5

when I turn the aux yes I hear click and no didn't notice a click when turning on the main so I will check to see if there are fuses behind the switches
Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #6

Maybe the battery is bad if it is it want take a charge secondly you stated you cranked it 5 times did you drive it to its operating temp to get the moisture out.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2.0 View Post
when I turn the aux yes I hear click and no didn't notice a click when turning on the main so I will check to see if there are fuses behind the switches
The fuses are usually on the actual relay solenoid, not the switch with the LED indicator. To see if the relay is bad, you can disconnect the large wire on one post and put it together with the large wire on the other post.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #8

i had the same problem. started the coach went to get gas and propane, started fine at first got to flying j shut it down got gas, went to start it back up to move to propane station dang thing would not even turn over. PROBLEM WAS A GROUND WIRE CAME LOOSE 0N THE ENGINE, TIGHTENED BOLT AND STARED UP FINE
Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you don't take it for a 20-30 mile drive after you start it. Don't start it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
This happens a lot when an OP posts an electrical problem. A lot of good responses are given but most of the time in the wrong order. When troubleshooting (TS) any electrical problems you have to start with the basics and you should do it in a logical order. If you don't you will be chasing your tail.

You have two set of batteries (B+) your coaches cranking battery and the house B+'s. You first must check the voltage for each and all B+'s.
The cranking B+ should be 12.6 volts (V). If you don't have a digital volt Ohm meter (DVOM) you should get one. They are much easier to read in tenths of a volt. If any of the B+'s are not at 12.6 V then they must be charged. You said that you charged a B+ overnight. Do you know what the charging Voltage was??? If it was not about 13.6 volts then your charger is no good. You assumed because it was on the charger that it would charge but you don't know that unless you measure the voltage at the B+ while it is charging.

Even if the charging voltage is 13.6 V's the B+ may not be accepting a charge. Now why is it not accepting a charge?? You might have loose or dirty connections on either the positive or negative cables. Or the B+ just may be bad and not accepting a charge. The best way to determine that is to take it out and have it load tested at any parts store. They all can check B+'s because they want to sell you a new one. But before you take it in to be tested you have to check the water in the B+ and charge it for at least 24-hours with a known good charger. They test the B+ by applying a heavy amperage load 100+ amps for 15 seconds. If you charged the B+ for those 24 hours and it fails the test then you know ir really didn't charge. Load testing is the only way to determine if it can supply enough current to crank.

When checking cables you MUST check both ends of the cable and you must check both positive and negative cables. You should also check/clean/tighten all cables that lead to and from any solenoids in the circuit.

If you check these items out first you just might find your problem. Just because it started 5 times over the winter does not mean that there were not problems brewing. Maybe the charge finally reached a point where it just wouldn't crank the motor anymore.

Once you verify that all B+'s are accepting a charge and all are charged and that you've cleaned and tightened all the heavy battery cables and you still don't crank then you may have a solenoid that is internally corroded and will not allow enough current to pass through to crank the motor.

Sorry this took so long to explain but it just does. Remember don't skip steps and perform these in order unless you like chasing your tail.

TeJay
Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree. everybody jumps to conclusions. See if you have proper voltage first. Get us some readings and we can help from there.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #12

Thanks to all for your responses and special thanks to TeJay you nailed it battery charger was DOA only way it would throw out juice is if I beat on it So all is good......... New charger and maybe new battery and I hope to be motoring after next snowfall next week ya snow predicted for next week gotta love Michigan