Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stationary Regeneration on Cummins

Has anyone performed a Stationary Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter on an 07 or later Cummins in a Fleetwood product? Seems I need to do it and I can't find the "stationary regeneration switch" under or on the dash of my Providence. Nor do I know what the "INSITE" electronic service tool is. Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks
Ed
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

According to Cummins, not all vehicles have a Stationary Regeneration Switch. Do you have the Cummins engine manual for your rig? Supposedly the info is in there.
See the last page of this Cummins Driver Tips concerning stationary regeneration.

I know there is a process for manual cleaning of the DPF, but it requires removal of the filter cannister from the coach and a special machine. Probably not cheap!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
According to Cummins, not all vehicles have a Stationary Regeneration Switch. Do you have the Cummins engine manual for your rig? Supposedly the info is in there.
See the last page of this Cummins Driver Tips concerning stationary regeneration.

I know there is a process for manual cleaning of the DPF, but it requires removal of the filter cannister from the coach and a special machine. Probably not cheap!
Thanks Gary, I'm gonna call Fleetwood today, who will probably refer me to Freightliner, who will probably refer me to Cummins... someone might have an answer. Funny thing... I have a Fleetwood, Freightliner, and Cummins owners manual.... about this issue, all 3 say "see your specific owners manual" for information on this...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Not sure about a Cummins but on a Duramax vehicle you need to make sure that the vehicle is outside and the exhaust has about 10 feet of clear area especially anything flammable.

We had one not only take the paint off the fender of a car five feet away it buckled the sheetmetal and melted all the plastic inside the fender. Honestly I can't see how the exhaust hangars don't melt.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well here is where we stand ... and ALL FLEETWOOD OWNERS should know this.... if you have a cummins engine 2007 or later. The epa system has a Diesel Particulate Filter on it that usually cleans itself... however sometimes especially in stop and go city driving it does not get hot enough to do it... Then it has to be cleaned in a stationary state. I had freightliner walk me through the process this morning and it did not work. Don't know why but Freightliner has to tow it in to do the work on it. You should familiarize yourself with this whole issue..... because from what I've read it is gonna become more frequent problem on this forum.... I'll update as soon as I know more.
Ed
Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
This is GM info, but typically a good speed limit ride on the expressway for an hour will take care of it.......Typically. It was fairly new tech when I left GM but that was the current description for the Duramax.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm curious - how did you know that a stationary regeneration was required? Is there some sort of warning light or??? As you can tell, I don't have an engine with DPM.

And for other Freightliner owners, what is the procedure that FL walked you through? In summary, if too complex for a step-by-step here. Was there an actual regeneration switch somewhere, as the Cummins manual suggest there might be?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
I'm curious - how did you know that a stationary regeneration was required? Is there some sort of warning light or??? As you can tell, I don't have an engine with DPM.

And for other Freightliner owners, what is the procedure that FL walked you through? In summary, if too complex for a step-by-step here. Was there an actual regeneration switch somewhere, as the Cummins manual suggest there might be?
Hi Gary;
The rig is being towed to a freightliner facility today, and I intend to document the entire series of events to post .... post repair... so others will know what to look for.
In short... my "check engine light came on" and then the "diesel particulate filter" light. If it happens that way usually it means to increase load on the engine for about 20 miles to allow the filter to "auto regenerate"... that is the way it is supposed to happen in most cases. But in my case, for some reason... maybe because I did not know to increase the engine load... it got to the point to where a stationary regeneration was required. On my fleetwood there is not a switch on the dash, but there was a connector under the steering wheel... carpet cosmetic board had to be removed to get to it (only held on with velcro)... and FL had me turn the engine on, and unplug that connector for 5 seconds and then plug it back in... that is all that is supposed to be required and the engine will then go into super rpm and heat up the exhaust to 800 or more.. to burn off any particulate on the filter... in our case we tried this 4 times and it would not work. At that point FL said they wanted to tow this in and fix it at their facility (no charge to me). He said a few things that lead me to believe that there is an issue with this that Cummins knows about and has not addressed... if you google this issue you will find a few articles that indicate that as well. Seems the DPF or "aftertreatment system" requires more attentive service on about 40% of the engines... This was based on a study they did with the U.S. Navy. At this point that's all I know, but my follow up will be more concise and point by point.
Thanks
Ed
Old 04-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Ed. I was pretty sure there was no regen switch in the motohome wiring harness and was wondering how they triggered the stationary regen. Looks like you could install a switch in that circuit if you had to do that very often.

I suppose some wrinkles are to be expected in the regeneration mechanism, but warranty should cover it until they get is working near-perfect. A pain for owners, though, until they do.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update

I got the rig back yesterday morning and all is fine. Didn't cost me a dime. Freightliner handled everything and they even contacted Cummins to pay their part. Seems because the previous owner (bank repo) had not had the recall campaign from last November done, in some instances the diesel particulate filter could not auto regenerate. So the first thing Freightliner did was to take care of that recall issue which was a software upgrade. They then did the stationary regeneration. They tell me that now, I shouldn't have this problem again because the auto regen will take care of it (as long as I understand what to do when I see the light come on).... For all of those with the same type of engine, if you see the diesel particulate filter light come on, increase your demand on the engine for about 20 minutes... ie; drive faster. That should clean it/regenerate it. Also, with the software upgrade, if I ever do need to do a stationary regen I know the process and it should work this time.
Thanks for all the comments and if you have any questions post them here or private me.
Thanks
Ed
Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've seen my re gen light come on twice, both times in heavy stop and go traffic. Once up to highway speed all was well.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
In 25K miles on this 08 ISL, the regen light has never come on. Engine runs great.
However, please don't stand anywhere near the exhaust. When this baby blows, look out!!

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
With the hand held laser temp gun, I did a temp reading on the exhaust tip,
It read 325 deg.. Coach had been at highway speeds and we stopped at rest area
and checked tire temps first . Yes it gets hot