Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steps won't full cycle

Heading out Monday morning for our first outing with our NU2us 1996 PA Vision.

I had just started the engine and wifey stepped out expecting the steps to be there. They were coming up as she stepped on them, and they dropped back (nobody hurt) and now just cycle part up and part down. I am assuming the gears are stripped, it looks like a windshield wiper or window regulator motor. Anyone familiar with these, do they possibly have the "plastic marble" type bearing gears. I'm just not going to tear into it while tripping. I hold it up while traveling with a ratchet strap and drop it and block it with a 4x4 when I set-up (daily). Looking for some advance info for Friday when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014 (640x360).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	24552   Click image for larger version

Name:	013 (640x360).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	24553  

Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spray the hinge points with WD40. Run the steps several times. spray again. Let sit overnight. Spray again. run again, several times in and out. You are not lubricating the steps, you are using the WD40 as a cleaner and to dissolve the buildup of grease and grime. You MUST lay on the ground and do the pivot points under the steps. also the linkage to the motor. Be very careful and make sure the steps are out and turned off when lubricating the steps. They are strong and will hurt you if you stick a hand or finger in them. After about thirty days, buy some spray lithium grease in a can. Lube them with the grease a several times a year.

This was the advice given me by Gatraveler, a Service Mgr for Fleetwood for almost 20 years, try it, it sure fixed mine up! The motor stops when resistance increases to a certain point. Improper step operation was is the highest complaint he said at that dealership.

Good luck and do what he suggested! Let me know if it helped/worked!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the advice I will try that before I tear anything apart. However; I don't think I'm going to be that lucky. I disconnected the pigtail underneath and it moves easily throughout the range of movement. I lift it up to travel and drop it to use at CG.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Thanks for the advice I will try that before I tear anything apart. However; I don't think I'm going to be that lucky. I disconnected the pigtail underneath and it moves easily throughout the range of movement. I lift it up to travel and drop it to use at CG.
Mine was easily moved too, I sure hope it helps. Keep me posted Brock.

Kent
Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
BrockX: just saw your post. It sounds like you have a gear or motor problem. Your motor does have the plastic marbles, which could have been sheared when she caught the step wrong. Also there are pot metal gears in the gearbox that are easily broken(I hate potmetal). The reason for my post is you need to be careful not to burn up your controller. The controller has a small set of points and they are only designed to be used for thirty seconds or so at a time. You should listen and make sure that the motor is not running continuously. If it runs with out stopping, it will burn up the points in the controller and you will be out almost two hundred dollars. It is a good idea to just unplug the steps until you are ready to repair them.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are in good hands now Brockx!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
You are in good hands now Brockx!
OK lincolnboy2: I guess this means I will have to buy you a big ole R C Cola and a Moon Pie For all the kind words.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
OK lincolnboy2: I guess this means I will have to buy you a big ole R C Cola and a Moon Pie For all the kind words.

Not at all kind sir! Your advice has never been off for me. I treasure it and thank you for all your help and continue to do so. I should be buying YOU the RC and Moon Pie !
Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #9

A new motor a new style controller runs about $500 you are correct about them being a wiper motor they are even on eBay if you can find the right one it's around $60.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
System Lookup - Power Gear is a lookup tool where you can see what parts you may need for repair/replacement.

We have a different problem with our steps in that they don't close all the way without a little help.

I've had our entire step motor and gear assembly apart in an attempt to try to "revive" ours, and to me your problem sounds like a stripped gear on the motor, or even the gear assembly that drives the stairs. There are some users in the forum that have been successful in finding a replacement power window motor for their stairs - I think its a Ford Taurus power window motor - but what i suggest is taking a look at RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes for a replacement kit.

While we haven't replaced ours yet, I think the cost for a replacement kit that includes the gear box, motor and I think the controller, was about $300.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay following all your leads I found this

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32-with photos

So if it is the motor gear I'm golden, if it is a gear box I may need to buy the $$$ kit.
It is a Dorman motor so if the motor has the Dorman button gears those are $7 on Amazon.

Keep in mind this is for the pre 1999 steps, read further into the article for the newer versions motor.

Thanks keep the info coming, I'll advise as I go.

Brock
Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got lucky it was the plastic plug shear bearings, I also ordered a spare gear and plugs. I'm pretty sure my driver door window uses the same drive set-up.

For older than 1999 units I believe the 1990 Ford Taurus is the complete unit, Advance Auto carries them in a Dorman and ACI brand. Mine appears to be a Dorman with ACI gears, they seem to be interchangable.

Go to Dorman's website and download their PDF file they have hundreds of motors and other hard to find parts. Their pdf has pictures and application lists also.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #13

Had a problem with mine not going in.
It was rust . Took apart and lubed it good and it worked fine since.
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #14

It fits the newer ones also.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps