Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steps won't stay out

Hi, I have a '97 Bounder 34V. I have a step switch on the dash that indicates it is to be used to keep the steps out even when the door is closed. I have another step switch by the entry door that is simply a rocker type switch. I assume it is simply an ON/OFF switch. They worked correctly for 14 years, but recently started failing.

My problem; The steps will retract regardless of the position of either switch whenever the door closes.

The diagrams provided by Kwikee always just shows the one ON/OFF power switch (not the second dash switch). Can anyone tell me how these switches are actually wired?
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #2

Most MH's have an override to these switches when the key is in the on position. Have you had this problem with the key off?
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Most MH's have an override to these switches when the key is in the on position. Have you had this problem with the key off?
The key is off when the problem occurs. The ignition override works properly because the steps will absolutely retract when the ignition is turned on, even with the door open.

I just need to know how the switches are wired.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
The key is off when the problem occurs. The ignition override works properly because the steps will absolutely retract when the ignition is turned on, even with the door open.

I just need to know how the switches are wired.
Try emailing Power Gear ( they bought Kwikee ) info@powergearus.com .

They are very responsive to inquires on Power Gear and I hope they will be on Kwikee for you as well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Try emailing Power Gear ( they bought Kwikee ) info@powergearus.com .

They are very responsive to inquires on Power Gear and I hope they will be on Kwikee for you as well.
Hope you have better luck then I did. They never responded to any emails I sent them concerning Kwikee steps.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal

Hope you have better luck then I did. They never responded to any emails I sent them concerning Kwikee steps.
Maybe they have a different tech group for Kwikee. The PG guys couldn't be more helpful to me on past PG issues. I'd try them again and ask them to assist in getting to the Kwikee techs.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #7

I had exactly the same problem on my new used mh when I bought in August. There are only 3 signals going into the step controller, ignition, door contact (door open,door close) and the overide switch. The other two wires are 12 volts and ground. And you may have a courtesy light. With a test light I could see that all my signals were working so it turned out to be the step controller. My steps were SCS Frigette 725-0022 and the coach step module (controller) was 29-SP164889. Controller was replaced by dealer on warranty but if you google the part #, it's about $150.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #8

And, forgot to mention. The symptom you are describing is as if the ignition signal was always present, so pay particular attention to the ignition key signal going into the step controller.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
And, forgot to mention. The symptom you are describing is as if the ignition signal was always present, so pay particular attention to the ignition key signal going into the step controller.
NO, it's not like the ignition is always on, because the symptoms change when the key is turned on. i.e. it reacts as expected

I asked about how the second step switch that Fleetwood installs (never shown on Kwikee diagrams) is wired. No one seems to know....
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
I had exactly the same problem on my new used mh when I bought in August. There are only 3 signals going into the step controller, ignition, door contact (door open,door close) and the overide switch. The other two wires are 12 volts and ground. And you may have a courtesy light. With a test light I could see that all my signals were working so it turned out to be the step controller. My steps were SCS Frigette 725-0022 and the coach step module (controller) was 29-SP164889. Controller was replaced by dealer on warranty but if you google the part #, it's about $150.
I appreciate your response, but I specifically posted my problem here to see if any of the FLEETWOOD owners knew how the second step switch is actually wired into the step controls.

I understand how Kwikee designed the system and how the various signals work, and I understand the controller inputs. What I don't understand is how and where this second switch is wired into the mix.

My problem may be a bad Kwikee controller, but my question is a Fletwood question.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
My problem; The steps will retract regardless of the position of either switch whenever the door closes.
Quote:
NO, it's not like the ignition is always on, because the symptoms change when the key is turned on. i.e. it reacts as expected
Hate to debate but if the steps always retract when you close the door, they are behaving as if the ignition was on. I bet if you turn the step switch to off then they remain retracted..
Anyways, good luck, happy new year.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Community Administrator

There is a Bounder group on Yahoo that I belong to. Many of the members have the same model/year as yours. Maybe someone there can assist you. Here is the link bounder : Bounder Owners .

Cliff

Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Lou

Did you ever figure out the steps ?

Cliff

Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Lou

Did you ever figure out the steps ?

Cliff
Cliff, I haven't had time to really check on the step problem. I've been busy rewiring my battery negative leads to accommodate the shunt for my TriMetric.

I did get one response that attempted to answer my initial question about how the "Power ON" switch, by the door, and the dash "Hold step Extended" switch work, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

The theory is that they are wired in parallel and, essentially, do the same thing.

Kwikee never shows the second switch, and Fleetwood has not been able to provide a drawing of the harness to show how they employed the second switch.

Thanks for asking. lou