Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2015, 05:45 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good point on the coach being level. My tanks drain differently depending on even a slight change in level.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #30

Gunny, Did you ever get any resolution to your grey water holding tank issues? I am looking at a Storm 28MS and the tanks look to be very shallow sitting on top of the frame rails. Great spot for CG and driving but shallow means the water is likely to splash around on the road.

What have others experienced?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #31

Just got back form my first trip with the New Storm 28MS. I believe this has a very similar set up as the OP's motor home.

One thing to note is that the height of all three tanks is only 6 or 8 inches. As previously stated the locations of drain and fill connections can drastically affect final capacities.

Here are some of my observations.

Fresh Water tank

The fresh water tank is made of white plastic and I can see the water level. When filling it I noted that it went to 1/2 and 3/4 very quickly when it was only about 1/3 full. The sensors really just appeared to be installed where ever they landed. They are not at measured points on the tank. The sensor did read full when there about an inch left in the tank. Since I could see the level of water I filled it till it started shooting out of the fill port which was with about 1/2" of space above the water. When I arrived at my destination I could see evidence of water coming out of the fill port on turns. Remember the shallow tank comment. I really expected to see where the water had spilled out the fill port.

Grey Tank

Before leaving on my trip I de-winterized the unit and sanitized the fresh water system. I know that these tasks dumped water into both the black and grey tanks but upon departure both tanks read at empty.

Night one, I took a military shower and doubt that I used more than a couple gallons of water. Over the next three days I washed dishes, washed hands, shaved a couple times and brushed teeth.

On the third day of my trip I check sensors and note that the grey tank is at 3/4 full. I was kinda taken back by this but remembered this thread.

Black Tank

At the moment I saw the grey tank at 3/4 I read the black tank at empty.

Decided it best to empty both tanks. The black tank ran forever (remember shallow tanks) leading me to believe the sensors might not be working. Dumping the grey tank also too a long time.

The next day was a travel day. Stayed at a KOA in Huntington WV and decided to fill my tanks and monitor the water levels as best I could. Found that the blank tank sensors were in fact working and filled it to 3/4 being a little squeamish about taking it to full by myself.

Started filling the grey tank (did not use measured buckets) and watched it stay on empty for a long time then shoot through 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 pretty quickly. I cautiously continued to fill it checking the shower, and lav drains as I went. After a while I noticed that the left sink bowl was filling up. There was no water in the right bowl nor was there water in the shower or the lav. I let it sit a while thinking the water would seek it's own level but it did not move. I also noted that the fill led was flickering on and off so I must have been right at the level of that sensor.

I have an appointment at FW on July 11th to replace some windows with failed seals. Before that date I will do the gallon jug test as the op[ said and note how many gallons each sensor represents in both the grey and black tanks.

I had asked Gunny about the outcome of his conversations with FW in this thread but he did not respond. I have just sent a PM to him to find out how things worked out, and will report what I find.

Personally I think there may be trapped air in the system. The kitchen sink is higher than the shower or the lav, and water should have come out of those areas first.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #32

This post has been quiet for months. I always wondered if they ever figured out that a gallon plastic jug holds quite a bit more than a gallon? Most people who make their own beer figured out a long time ago that plastic gallon jugs make very poor measuring devices. They budge quite a bit when filling.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #33

I will use measuring cup to get a measured gallon mark on a jug or use one of the water meters we use at work adding glycol to water systems.

Regardless of the capacity there is no way the highest drain in the system would back up before the two lower drains or the one right next to it. This just doesn't make sense at all. I will run my own test this weekend and report back.

I am taking the Storm in for Mx July 11th and have left them an e-mail regarding the grey tank and capacity. I will see what they say.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #34

Storm holding tank capacity problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
From the brochure on our Fleetwood:

IMPORTANT—PLEASE READ:
Product information, photography and illustrations included in this publication were as accurate as possible at the time of printing. For further product information and changes, please visit our website at Fleetwood RV. or contact your local Fleetwood RV dealer.

Prices, materials, design and specifications are subject to change without notice. All weights, fuel, liquid capacities and dimensions are approximate.

I doubt a legal challenge would be worth the time.

Sorry to say the fine print will get you every time my opinion you will be lucky if they do anything else and you lost your legal leg.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #35

Who said anything about a legal challenge? I will gather the facts and discuss this with Fleetwood. Geeez
Old 05-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Who said anything about a legal challenge? I will gather the facts and discuss this with Fleetwood. Geeez

Several post if you read all of them.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #37

I have read all of them and those posts are from 9 months ago
Old 05-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #38

Storm holding tank capacity problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I have read all of them and those posts are from 9 months ago

You are correct I didn't realize this was such a old post still going. I guess your problem has been resolved by now.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #39

I am not the OP. I have a similar problem I am trying to resolve. Only expressing what my issue is and will share the resolution.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #40

I have an update on my perceived issue:

Had a chance to test the capacity of the Grey Tank this weekend. Started out by making sure the coach was level and the grey tank empty. I used an ond milk jug and measured in 1 gallon of water using a measuring cup then marked the 1 gallon level in that jug. I put all the water into the Kitchen Sink asit is the highest location. Here are the results.

Indicator read empty at start
Indicator read 1/4 full at 11 gallons
Indicator read 1/2 full at 15 gallons or + 4 gallons
Indicator read 3/4 full at 18 gallons or + 3 gallons
Indicator read full at 23 gallons or + 5 gallons

When the 23rd gallon went into the sink I heard water bubbling out of the Lavatory drain Which it did all the way to 30 gallons which is when I saw water backing up in the shower.

If the actual capacity is 85% of the stated capacity of 35 gallons then 29.75 gallons is what the tank should hold and mine did. The fact that I was able to fit 7 more gallons in the tank after it read full tells me it is more of a sensor location issue than a capacity issue.

I don't know if it is even feasible to move the sensors as I believe these are the sensors that are inserted into the tank sidewall. I will let FW tell me what can be done.

Beyond that I will let you know what FW tells me when they see the coach in July.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #41

Well, back from Decatur and FW had nothing to offer. Said the tank sensors came with the tanks and that only the MFg fo the tank could add one, IE they do not have the tool needed to drill the inserts, so no change. I just have to note how many gallons each led indicates.

Tags
tank