Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #1

Strange electrical issue

Hello everyone,

Upfront I don't own this RV, or any right now, I'm trying to help a friend fix his since he's letting me borrow it for a summer trip.

It's a 2005 Bounder 35E
The BCC is rev K

Here's the backstory and issue. 6 months ago we took it to the Camping World in Nashville for new battery and to look over the electrical system when he picked it up and drove it back part of his 12 volt system was inoperative the rear camera doesn't work the main battery voltage indicator didn't work the mirrors didn't work the shades on the front window didn't come down Etc.

What he did find was by holding down the auxiliary starts which he was able to get power to all those systems. And after sitting a bit that switch stopped working.

Somewhere along the way he burned out a couple diodes on the BCC burned out a circuit trace and a mosfet transistor I replaced all those reinstalled it now the auxiliary solenoid clicks over like it it's supposed to and once again if you hold down the auxilary switch those systems work again.

Additionally, the front VCR and TV and slides only work if that auxiliary switch is engaged. Verified that at the inverter underneath that isn't getting 12vdc unless that aux switch is held down.

Anyone got any ideas? I've lurked through the forums trying to glean as much info as possible in an effort to fix this.

Much obliged,

Marty
Nitebane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sounds like low voltage. What are the readings on the chassis batteries and the house batteries Check directly to the battery post and then on the cable clamp and note any difference.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Check the start battery cables and terminals. If the are not the crimped on kind, take them completely apart and clean the wire strands. Many times the corrosion is under the little straps.

When you push the aux switch, you are connecting the house batteries to the start batteries. That's why things come to life.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

Sounds like a simple matter of one positive cable being fastened to the wrong position.

The fix is to observe exactly where each large cable terminates on both ends. Then listen to determine where the solenoid is located and observe what cables are being jumped when the switch is activated.

It’s possible that the tech also didn’t properly wire the chassis battery. I would double check every large cable for proper location. It’s difficult to troubleshoot someone’s work. For all we know... parts could have been deleted.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Does it act that way both on house batteries and when the battery charger has a 120V power source?

I'd start with Hufficon's suggestion and verify the individual house battery voltages and lug/terminal connection quality.

After that, I'd take a hard look at the battery wiring that Camping World installed. Make sure that it's properly wired for series and/or parallel, based on the batteries they installed. A friend of mine had a local RV center replace two 12-volt batteries wired in parallel with two 6-volt batteries using the same parallel wiring...

Next, I'd look at the chassis grounds for the - side of the batteries and the - side of your 12-volt distribution panel.

If that all looks good, I'd check for a blown fuse, bad solenoid switch, or loose/corroded/bad connection in the + line between the battery bank and your 12-volt distribution panel. If there's a break in that line and the Aux switch comes in after that point, it could cause the issues you're seeing.

Electrical gremlins suck, but I'm optimistic on this one. You know that the 12-volt distribution is good with the Aux switch, so it has to be something between your panel and the battery chassis ground. At least you've got it narrowed down that much, already!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #6

Once this temp downpour passes I'll play with the electricity and let you all know what turns up.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #7

Confirmed that both coach and chassis batteries read the same voltage at the battery and connection into the BCC
Old 05-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many solenoids in the BCC?
Some have a MAIN, AUX and BOOST and Isolator

Sounds like the MAIN is not closing. it may be operted by the ignition.

THE BOOST is not designed for long term use. only 30 second (per manual) to one mintue (Per experiene) no more longer may burn out both the solenoid and as you found other stuff.

Alternative ideas.> Bad main battery, Bad connection main battery, Main battery messed up some how

CW is good at messing up electrical stuff.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #9

A pic of the BCC, if it works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180522_175318.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	203853  
Old 05-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #10

I only see a single solenoid in the BCC and when held down it does send 12v to the CH BAT connections at P15 otherwise there's only 2 vdc present at that connection
Old 05-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #11

Could this be an issue with the disconnect buttons over the door?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #12

I'll start off by saying I've never worked on one of these systems , but there may be another solenoid hidden behind the circuit board.
Because the pdf I have says two solenoids .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intell BCC Mini Gas.pdf (634.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Strange electrical issue

Any chance that the salesman switch was activated during service? Pushing the boost switch may override the salesman’s switch.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #14

There is only the single solenoid exposed but there are two black covers but the lable sticker says disconnects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180522_200428.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	203881  

Tags
electric, electrical