Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Exclamation Strange electrical problem

Leaving on our first extended trip tomorrow- maybe.

2105 Fleetwood Expedition

Installed the Safe-T-Plus steering dampener over the weekend and took it for the test drive today. Dead center, what a difference!

Turned on the dash air while underway and had only low speed. The rear camera went out and the built in GPS unit rebooted over and over again. Turned the dash air off and everything went back to normal.

Same results regardless of power source. Genset running = same result. Shore power connected = same result. No shore power, no inverter, no genset = same result.

Anyone else had this issue? Just popped up, the day before we leave. Grrr...

Oh, and the dash lights come on with the dash air knob also! WTH?
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Gremilns! Wish I could help, that sounds like a brain box problem somewhere. Did you wash it?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Check your grounds in the area that you were working to install steering damper. Sounds like you may have dislodged a ground lug/connection which the systems that are acting up may need to provide positive ground.

My thoughts.
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:24 AM   #4

Thanks Brian. The steering damper is installed on the tie rod, several feet from any grounding, hoses, etc.

The coach was washed, but by quite a while ago and no problems until yesterday. I'm going to look around for loose connections or short to ground, but wouldn't know where to reconnect anything I find.

Calling the dealership this morning before I go on the trip. Looks like everything is fine as long as I don't use the dash A/C
Old 07-21-2015, 04:35 AM   #5

single speed is usually burned out fan resistor pack. Looks similar to this.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Had a similar problem a few years back on our Southwind. Check the grounds under the dash. First, touch the wiring after running a few minutes. If it is hot, it is probably a bad ground. Our fan would cut out with no warning. Dealer couldn't find the problem but I did by touching wires to see if they were hot or warm. Works!
Traveler78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #7

Calling Fleetwood Tech line tomorrow. Finally arrived in New Brunswick. No safety issues but frustrated.

No right brake light. Swapped bulbs, left to right. Not the bulb and the right brake light works on the toad.

Use the turn signal and the phone plugged in to the 12V dash receptacle blinks on and off charge mode.

Turn on the headlights and the compressor fan for the dash air comes on under the coach.

Give a trucker a courtesy blink with the ICC switch and the rear camera cuts out, onboard GPS unit reboots.

So... if I don't use the dash air, everything is fine. That's ok for this trip because it's pretty chilly here compared to 90F at home. This looks like a far bigger problem than a simple loose ground somewhere.

Overall, happy with the coach regardless the litany of problems since we bought it a few months ago. Pretty certain this is the last Fleetwood product we ever buy though. For that much money, I expect a short punch list of cosmetic issues, not electrical problems, propane leaks, furnace issues, etc.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Most of those type issues are ground problems.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

A 2105 Fleetwood has got to have a few bugs as they are not due for full production for a few years.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical