Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Strange Happenings in our Pace Arrow

We just upgraded to a 2005 Pace Arrow 36B. On our first trip this past weekend a couple of strange things happened. first on our second night I went to adjust the thermostat and it was locked. I couldn't make any changes to it, so I pulled the fuse and replaced it and nothing. I pulled the fuse and left it out the untill morning then replaced it and it worked fine.

The second thing at about 1 AM the LP alarm went off so I turned off the gas and vented the coach, this helped until about an hour later it went off again with the gas turned off. My thinking is that maybe something outside the coach seeped in.

Now my wife is worried about the quality of the coach. Has anybody else had these problems?

Thanks

JD
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #2

RV's are just sometimes a real quirky beast. Lots of things that can and will go bad or cause grief. Stick with it. I doubt that it is a quality issue. It is possible for the LP sensor to have gone bad. Check it first if you didn't notice any strange odors and maybe replace it if in doubt. CO detectors should also be replaced every few years. As far as the thermostat, hard to say, but maybe the fuse was just not making good contact. Hang in there.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Something to check. On two occasions over the past 6 years we have had our propane detector go off and in both cases it was from having a shorted cell in one of our batteries. The charger senses that the voltage is low and continuously tries to charge the battery. this causes the battery to boil and give off gas which will trip the propane sensor. When it gets bad enough you will swear you smell sewer gas.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Come to think of it I do recall hearing the cooling fan on the battery charger at the same time the alarm thing was going on. I will check the batteries.

JD
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of things can set off LP alarms - even a dog passing gas. And yes, outside odors can seep in and trigger it. I had one that went off when a neighbor often left his lawn mower engine running nearby. It ran poorly and the exhaust gasses triggered the alarm.

You may have a contaminated sensor in the LP alarm. Use of hair sprays or spray cleaners around it can permanently damage the sensor and make it give false alarms. Replacement is the only answer. Besides, those alarms ave a rated life of around 5 years anyway, so yours is due.

As for the thermostat, there is usually a reset procedure. What make & model is it? Pulling the fuse for awhile accomplishes the same thing, though. Not sure what would cause it to lock up in the first palce, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Had too change mine on our '04 Pace Arrow 36B in 2008 after it kept going off. Apparently just faulty because the new one hasn't failed so far. Oh, and yes I've tested it to make sure it works okay.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The batteries were dry and I can tell that they boiled over, something that is now on my weekly checks. The Wife wants to go ahead and get anew alarm and have it ready to go in when needed. Thanks for all the good information I wish I found IRV2 a couple of years ago.

JD
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You may want to have them checked for a bad cell or you can get a Hydrometer and check for bad cells yourself.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote