Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Suction cups on Navigation and Tire Minder units

What do you guys use to keep the suction cups that hold Tire Minder Units and Navigation units stuck to their dash disks?

I know the newer rigs have them built in but us guys with the older rigs have to use add on units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170429_160312.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	160033  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem the sun causes the cup to loose its grip. I purchased an extra mount drilled a couple of holes in the dash and screwed the mount to the dash. I used a couple of fender washers on the back to add some strength to the dash.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Depends on whether you want to mount it temporally or permanently to the windshield. I have a Transfer Flow Trax-II fuel transfer and monitor display and a Garmin GPS mounted to the windshield with suction mounts. The Trax-II was originally mounted with a "permanent" adhesive pad between the suction cup and windshield. It released after three years. Currently, it is mounted with automotive trim molding adhesive strips. This stuff seems to be adhesive on steroids. Only time will tell how well it holds.

For the temporary GPS mount, I haven't found a thing that works for extended periods. I currently use alcohol to clean the windshield and suction cup. Works for a nominal period of time. I periodically remove the mount and re-clean the windshield and mount and reinstall. If I am going to higher elevations, I will remove the mount and reinstall it as the elevation increases. This reestablishes the suction between the mount and windshield. One year my GPS and rear view camera mounts both fell off the windshield within a few minutes of each other while climbing the La Veta pass in Colorado, elevation 9413 ft.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #4

I am using suction cup brackets to hold 10" tablets. I find cleaning the dish and then an application of the tongue to the suction get the mount to hold very well.

Use the same technique with the camera on the windshield but the sun on the windshield does reduce the holding days.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
I had the same problem the sun causes the cup to loose its grip. I purchased an extra mount drilled a couple of holes in the dash and screwed the mount to the dash. I used a couple of fender washers on the back to add some strength to the dash.
I really do not want to drill holes in the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Depends on whether you want to mount it temporally or permanently to the windshield. I have a Transfer Flow Trax-II fuel transfer and monitor display and a Garmin GPS mounted to the windshield with suction mounts. The Trax-II was originally mounted with a "permanent" adhesive pad between the suction cup and windshield. It released after three years. Currently, it is mounted with automotive trim molding adhesive strips. This stuff seems to be adhesive on steroids. Only time will tell how well it holds.

For the temporary GPS mount, I haven't found a thing that works for extended periods. I currently use alcohol to clean the windshield and suction cup. Works for a nominal period of time. I periodically remove the mount and re-clean the windshield and mount and reinstall. If I am going to higher elevations, I will remove the mount and reinstall it as the elevation increases. This reestablishes the suction between the mount and windshield. One year my GPS and rear view camera mounts both fell off the windshield within a few minutes of each other while climbing the La Veta pass in Colorado, elevation 9413 ft.
I have tried cleaning and then using a very light coat of silicon grease (will not effect rubber) and that sort of works.

I am thinking of gluing them this time. I can always replace the mount and the dash disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
I am using suction cup brackets to hold 10" tablets. I find cleaning the dish and then an application of the tongue to the suction get the mount to hold very well.

Use the same technique with the camera on the windshield but the sun on the windshield does reduce the holding days.
That is how I started but this is the second year on these cups and that is no longer working.

Any other ideas?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
try a drop of baby oil on the suction cup . you will be amazed how well it works.I have also used ProtectAll which works equally as well
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks you for the responses. I think I will try some sort of glue, like the glue used on bumper covers. The disk can always be removed from the dash and the holder can be replaced.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 AM   #8

Weighted sandbag holders. No holes and you can move it around or stick it in the cupboard when you're not using it. I use one for the GPS. You can get them at Best Buy, Amazon, etc.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started using the removable picture strips, they work good and you can remove them when you want to bring the gps in to up grad the maps.
OLD1SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:51 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From Best Buy I bought two magnetic mounts. The magnet goes on the back if the GPS, tpms, etc with supplied adhesive on the magnet. Then there are a variety of mounts - a weighted bag holds my gps on top edge if the dash and a vent clip on my tpms. Nice that it's easy to remove the device to use.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was advised by Garmin not to use a magnetic mount on my RV770 GPS.

" Magnetic mount may affect device software and possibly battery charging"

I don't know if that is an accurate response, but I'll have to go with it for now.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I cut a 1/4 inch thick piece if plastic, about 4x6 inches square. Rounded the corners nice and pretty and screwed it to the top of the dash. GPS sticks to it just fine.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
I was advised by Garmin not to use a magnetic mount on my RV770 GPS.

" Magnetic mount may affect device software and possibly battery charging"

I don't know if that is an accurate response, but I'll have to go with it for now.
Interesting, I have worked around large electrical and magnetic fields all my life, never caused a problem. . never caused a problem never caused a problem. never caused a problem. never caused a problem. never caused a problem... (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
What do you guys use to keep the suction cups that hold Tire Minder Units and Navigation units stuck to their dash disks?

I know the newer rigs have them built in but us guys with the older rigs have to use add on units.
Not liking things on the dash and defiantly not going to glue or screw into it either.

What i did was buy one of the 9"x11" clear clipboards at walmart. That sits on the doghouse with whatever i want to suction cup onto it. Stays put while driving then once at camp i move it to the floor corner on the driverside out of the way.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote