Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #1

Suspected Generator Issues

I think there is something wrong with my generator. Here's why... Right now, my MH is parked in the driveway connected to my 20amp shorepower. If I turn on the front A/C, it runs as expected - meaning, the fan starts immediately then the compressor kicks in after about 10 seconds. However, if I crank the generator (with the A/C off) and turn on the front A/C, the fan comes on for only about 8-10 seconds then turns off completely. Thermostat shows a steady green light, but no fan and no compressor.

If I crank the genny with the A/C already running, I get different results. Sometimes the A/C continues to run fine. Other times, it stops after 8-10 seconds. Then occasionally, when the compressor tries to restart, the genny will sound like its bogging down for a moment, then the A/C shuts off altogether.

I would like to "load test" my generator but not sure how to do that. The gen starts easily and does generate power. Microwave seems to work OK.

I also noticed something else that may or may not be "new". When I turn off the generator (and sometimes when I start it), I hear a chatter coming from underneath the fridge. It sounds like something stuck in a fan blade for a second. I have a video I'll try to upload in a bit. I suspect it has something to do with the transfer switch. Is this normal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #2

Video of "chatter"

Here's is a video that I took while kneeling at the refrigerator when my daughter turned off the generator. You can hear the "chatter" that I was referring to.
Attached Files
Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
does the same happen with the rear A/C or is this with the front A/C only?
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #4

Certainly you have some issues to address. Lets get some info!

Generator make/model #

1st:
Your problem with the Air conditioner(s) may be nothing more than an AC power voltage issue. It would nice if you could post some voltage numbers at various outlets in the coach while the generator is running under 0 load and when you're trying to run the air conditioner(s). Do you have a voltmeter?

2nd:
With the generator turned off, and shore power unplugged, I suggest removing the small access cover on the top of the front cover to the genset (where the 120AC wiring connects to it) and having a look at the wires and their connections. It's not uncommon for those to work loose over time which causes excessive heat and eventually burns the wiring a bit.

3rd:
The fan chattering sound certainly is most interesting at this point. Not sure where your 12vdc converter is located from memory on a 98 Discovery but it certainly sounds as if the fan on it is chattering when AC power is removed from it.

4th:
Load testing can be done at many Cummins/Onan facilities. Call around to see which ones have the load bank equipment.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
does the same happen with the rear A/C or is this with the front A/C only?
Well, I have a different issue with my rear A/C, there is a bad bearing or something so I haven't been running it.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknjohn View Post
Here's is a video that I took while kneeling at the refrigerator when my daughter turned off the generator. You can hear the "chatter" that I was referring to.
My Bounder makes the same noise when I shut off the generator.

Not sure what is chattering behind the breaker panel. Suspect some type of change over relay possibly.
golfpgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #7

Any "changeover" relay should be in the Xfer switch.

This sounds like a VERY INTERESTING post.

Do you have an energy management system?
Time to grab the popcorn!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes I do,,,, Why do you ask?
golfpgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator