Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 05:55 AM   #1

Tell me about Discovery DP's

I'm in the process of trying to purchase a 2009 Discovery 40X. I had been shopping for a Newmar or Berkshire bunkhouse when another member of this forum suggested I look at the 40X. I had been considering a 40G, but really liked the layout of the 40X. The dual couches (with hide-a-beds) and the large dinette should work out well for my kids which are grown-up size now.

To make a long story short, I haven't been able to find much information on Fleetwood motorhomes regarding how they are built. Newmar is very upfront with their construction and insulation. The only thing I could find regarding the Discovery line was the interlocking wall to floor and wall to ceiling design.

What kind of insulation is in a 2009 Discovery? Are the floor joists steel, aluminum, or wood? Are the rafters aluminum? It seems the plumbing is Pex, but does it hold up well? Are there any videos showing the factory and construction (I could not find any).
Dgreen1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

We have a 2015 40g so guage my answer on a newer model.

I am pretty happy with the construction. I am very happy with the value (what we got vs what we paid). I love for the price point getting the 380hp motor with the 3000 transmission. When we were looking the Berkshire was the smaller motor/transmission limiting the cargo capacity. (2 adults and three kids + stuff is a lot of cargo for us ... Plus towing a Jeep). I was very surprised at some of the models we looked at only had about 12-1500 pounds capacity left for cargo.

We bought ours used with 20k miles on it.

I can't answer the behind the walls question and will let someone smarter chime in.

The only fit/finish item that is lower than the newmar (that I can think of) is the cabinets are wrapped mdf in the discovery, which is not as nice as the more expensive coaches. But to be honest I never think about it while we are in it.

The basement storage is HUGE compared to others we looked at. It's a joy to drive and very quiet. 3 AC units are keeping us cool in the desert SW right now as it does in GA/FLA where we are from. (We sleep at 67 in the bedroom and 70 up front ...72 while driving).

To me the newmar dp (especially the Dutch Star or * Aire lines are much nicer but they also cost a good bit more. The discovery was more in line with the ventana. I didn't go the ventana route because of the dinnette to be honest. As a family of 5, I liked the u shaped dinnette.

We also looked at Tiffin but there again I needed to get into the allegro bus to feel like I was getting a lot more than the discovery.

There is a discovery owners group that has an email group that gets very fast answers and is a decent community. If you end up going the discovery route look it up.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery 40E. Lots of initial problems bought new. Now it's minor problems with appliances etc not Fleetwood mfged.
We have way more storage than we need. Looked at higher end MHS. Our Discovery fits us well. I would like the comfort drive, independent front suspension and many other high end options but the added cost just can't justify them.
We've been in many parks lately glad we aren't any longer.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #4

Have 2015 40X.......only had a few months but love it. ISL 380 hp with 3000 trans is awesome.
I feel quality is good.
I traded a 2018 Pace Arrow 38K because of the powertrain Fleetwood chose which basically gives you next to nothing for towing capacity.
The performance difference between the ISB/2500 and the ISL/3000 is night and day!!!!
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you go on the FW website, you can download the brochure on an 09 Discovery. It's a start. The newer REV-produced Discovery is a different animal than the Discovery of pre-bankruptcy.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you go on the FW website, you can download the brochure on an 09 Discovery. It's a start. The newer REV-produced Discovery is a different animal than the Discovery of pre-bankruptcy.

Lori-
Thanks! I’ve seen the brochure, but it doesn’t mention anything about wall or ceiling construction or what type of insulation is used 😔
Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Can anyone tell me what type of levelers are installed on the Discovery coaches? Are they electric or hydraulic? If hydraulic, do they actuate up and down or return with just springs?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #8

On my 2015 they are hydraulic up and down.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
On my 2015 they are hydraulic up and down.
Now that I look at them they do have a spring assist but I believe them to be hydraulic up and down
Old 06-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
The walls are a solid foam bead insulation.
Like a foam cooler.
The framing will be aluminum.
Hope this helps some, I had a 98 one of the best coaches I have had.
Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw a sample of the construction last year. It was solid bead foam. I did like the interlocking design. I was also impressed with the thick fiberglass outer skin. Much thicker than most, probably close to 1/8". It is not laminated to luan. It is a thick piece of fiberglass adhered to the aluminum studs. I'm impressed with the Discovery. A 40D or 40E is definately on my short list when the time comes to upgrade.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:04 AM   #12

Our 2008 Discovery 41x fits our requirements. It has electric jacks rather than the hydraulic jacks that tend to be problematic- pops, slips, leaks, air in the system, etc...
Per the brochure the coach Frame is made of aluminum PACO designed- you can look that up online. Plumbing is all Pex. We have had 10 adults inside all sitting. No sharp counter corners, and a real chrome exhaust pipe - not a half cover add on like newer DPs. To me that's a sign of cutting corners. Almost all basement enclosures are easy to get to, especially the large ones that are attached to the slide outs a real back and head saver!
We also have the full outside galley and is great IF you plan to barbeque. Very few problems and roomy. Ours also has a sofa bed, two reclining chairs with stools- see brochure.

The 350hp Cummins is getting 12-13 MPH with the Allison 6 speed and that's close to the gross vehicle weight with 3/4 full fresh water and 30 gal of propane. The genset is 8kw Onan and runs great suppling all our power needs when on the road. I also like the electric/LP refrig too. My only concern is have many people will you be berthing? I mean it's not a bunk house.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
Our 2008 Discovery 41x fits our requirements. It has electric jacks rather than the hydraulic jacks that tend to be problematic- pops, slips, leaks, air in the system, etc...
Per the brochure the coach Frame is made of aluminum PACO designed- you can look that up online. Plumbing is all Pex. We have had 10 adults inside all sitting. No sharp counter corners, and a real chrome exhaust pipe - not a half cover add on like newer DPs. To me that's a sign of cutting corners. Almost all basement enclosures are easy to get to, especially the large ones that are attached to the slide outs a real back and head saver!
We also have the full outside galley and is great IF you plan to barbeque. Very few problems and roomy. Ours also has a sofa bed, two reclining chairs with stools- see brochure.

The 350hp Cummins is getting 12-13 MPH with the Allison 6 speed and that's close to the gross vehicle weight with 3/4 full fresh water and 30 gal of propane. The genset is 8kw Onan and runs great suppling all our power needs when on the road. I also like the electric/LP refrig too. My only concern is have many people will you be berthing? I mean it's not a bunk house.
I really liked the outside kitchen option, but the coach I’m buying doesn’t have that. We have two kids (12 & 15), and it’s not uncommon to have an extra friend with us. The coach has two couches with hide-a-beds and the U-shaped dinette that converts. I test drove the coach last night and was shocked at how smooth it drives. It’s enormous, but wasn’t bad to handle. It also has hydraulic jacks with spring returns. I would have preferred dual action jacks, but I’m glad they are hydraulic rather than electric.

Thanks for all the replies!

If anyone knows the R-value of the roof, walls, floor, and basement, I’d still love to hear it.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aluminum frame, solid bead foam insulation. No RV out there has great insulation. I don't think there's much difference between mfgrs in a given year.

The only non-hydraulic jacks/levelers on Discovery were the 2008 models with build dates before November 2007, I believe (I did a survey with about 25 responses on the DOAI forum). Avoid the electric jacks.

We have lived full-time on ours for 4 years now. Needless to say, we love it. The 2009 is almost identical to our 2008
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, discovery