Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
It changes shift points to save fuel.

FYI: My analog gauge will indicate close to the 3/4 point while the digital readout indicates 210 degrees on hills.
What is the operating temperature?
mhildebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhildebrand View Post
What is the operating temperature?
192-196⁰ is normally what I see. 210⁰ from what I've read is not a problem on occasion in the hills for a period of time; exceeding 220⁰ for any significant period I recall seeing is not good--over 230⁰ is a real problem. Those are the rules of thumb I've picked up...But I am NOT an expert--just read a lot!
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #17

The dealer is pretty set on his price. He has thrown in a full PDI - assuring that everything will work and any caulking that is bad/cracked will be removed and redone, pressure tested for leaks and seals, and fix any related problems. All appliances will work or be replaced, wiring checked, test and replace batteries if needed. Freightliner has done their inspection and I'm willing to take it back to them to look at the radiators and check the fan to see if it was replaced with the upgraded 5 bolt and check the two thermostats (per suggestions made on this forum). Any opinions on anything else I should have them address while it's there in service? The dealer also threw in a 5 yr warranty but I've discovered from all I've been reading that lots of people have difficulties getting satisfaction out of this particular company, so he gave us a credit to purchase a warranty of our own choice. After looking at the forum and searching on the internet it looks like people are very happy with Wholesale Warranties and Jeff Shelton. I spoke with one of their reps - he gave us a price on Viking. If I ever bought a warranty I'd probably buy that from them. However, I'd be happy to hear anyone else's experience with working with them. We're still pressuring the dealer to get us service records on this coach. I'm not sure he can. I was told this was a consignment coach, but it could have been a trade-in. Does anyone know if warranty companies will have a problem with insuring this 1-owner coach without any service history to be had? On a used coach I'd like to hear opinions on how long a term policy I should be looking at. It seems like after you own your coach you'd get a pretty good feel for what's needed and maybe be able to take care of stuff yourself (starting savings specifically for this, of course!) Any other known issues to look for on this particular coach? Thanks. Mike
Old 06-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #18

Hi Mike, its me again!
How knowledgeable are you mechanically wise? If you can fix anything man has ever made, you probably won't have many problems. Even if you do need to remove the radiators for external cleaning, there are several people on this forum who have done this and can help. It isn't impossible to do, just time consuming the first time, and probably the only time you do it. If you are a "leave it to the professionals" type of guy, then all you need is figure what it will take to fix her up to satisfaction and make your counter offer accordingly.

Sometimes I see what other people pay for repairs or maintenance and I just tell my wife of 43 years "see how much you own me for doing this myself?"

Good luck with your decision and remember what Triker56 in post 5 said about the Discovery Owners Association International (DOAI) group. Some people find it very very helpful particularly when it is a Discovery type of problem. The combination of this forum and the DOAI is hard to beat
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #19

I did not notice an exhaust temp on the information center. Does the Banks IQ plug in and read information from the computer? If so sounds like a good idea. I saw someone who fried his turbo when the fan malfunctioned. Engine overheated and that cost him around 5 big ones - ouch!! Can Freightliner check the bost? or the turbo?
Thanks for all your responses and information.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BANKS & VMSpc

The Banks is a useful tool that I am just starting to make sense of after 3 years--I still don't know much about how to use it to my advantage. And there are options that others would tell you are superior. I think the generic term is diesel tuners/monitors. All of them tap into your computer diagnostics port and translate codes into data.

I think of it as a monitor that provides the details left unexplained by the dash gages (e.g. the temp needle is just above the half-way mark, and Banks tells me it is 192⁰). Plus it provides additional info that I have no idea how to use (what is Trans SLP?). I'm glad a previous owner put it on and that I have it, but I would not spend any money on one myself--I'm not "into" engines enough to benefit properly.

Now, if you are into the mechanics, a lot of folks will tell you they feel the Silverleaf VMSpc is the best option. I know a few people who drive with a laptop open or a tablet on their dash and even use its speedometer instead; the screen even shows the tire temps (if you have Pressure Pro TPMS).

It's all a bit much for me, but if you're interested check it out at VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc..

One Banks link is Diesel Tuners-Programmers with Gauge Monitor | OC DIESEL

But Google them both for lots more info and reviews.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #21

WALK? Are you kidding me?

Discovery is an awesome rig! We purchased one on Consignment as well. When the rig is warmed up ours will hover around 192 deg. When pulling a STEEP grade it will creep up to 217 and no higher. (Ours has the CAT 330HP)
I do INDEED know for a fact that the radiator is due for a GOOD cleaning. I will be pulling the radiators in a couple weeks & will report back with my findings.

EVERY RIG WILL HAVE "GREMLINS" , If you can't deal with them try & find a new rig w/o "gremlins".

Perfect example of someone who does not know how to diagnose problems, just throw parts at it right?;

"See the problem can start with the head scratching.. well maybe it's this, maybe it's that, drive it and see... hand me $3000... didn't fix it? hand me another 2000. Didnn't fix it? hand me...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Just a quick word...... walk

Even though the 08 discovery is a great unit and a great floorplan... buying one with known gremlins is like opening your wallet to a vacuum cleaner....

ask me how I know...

Me personally, knowing what I know now, wouldn't hesitate to walk away, and keep looking.

See the problem can start with the head scratching.. well maybe it's this, maybe it's that, drive it and see... hand me $3000... didn't fix it? hand me another 2000. Didnn't fix it? hand me....

and then, when the hands start messing around in there, they find other things, break things, don't always put things back right and it can get out of control quickly.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #22

What is the best way to establish a fair value on a good coach?
Old 06-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #23

What is the best way or ways to establish a fair value on a coach?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #24

So many varaibles, time of year, location and such. As i stated above we picked up our Discovery on consignment. I do my own work. The first "Gremlin" as some people call it was a blown steer axle seal, street side. The second "Gremlin" was a toasted cooling unit on the Norcold.
A whopping $170.00 for shoes/seals. Purchased Amish cooling unit for $1200.00. Customized rig for boonbocking and installed 1K in high voltage panels.

Put 19k on her in 9 months.
Oh, swung by car/RV wash and cleaned radiator and engine with Simple Green HD. Need to do that two more times to get that radiator clean. Take a look at that CAT!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote