RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 10:58 PM   #1

Tire advice

Hey all,

About to pull the trigger on my 1st RV - 2003 Tioga 31W. Checked the date codes on the tires and they are original! 15 years old. Guess I better change them.

1st - I could use some recommendations on what tire brands are good (without breaking the bank)

2nd - where the heck do I get them installed? Can't roll into WalMart Auto Center with an RV can I? I'm sure RV dealer with service center can do it, but are there other options? Truck repair shop?

Thanks!

PJ

profjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any tire shop that sells your size tires should be able to mount them. Start calling around.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have an RV dealer nearby, ask them where they get their tire work done. Many dealers farm out tire work.

I use a local truck tire place that my company deals with. They do a lot of MH tires for local RV dealers.. I bought two Roadmaster (Cooper) RM170 – 14 ply (245-70-R19.5) last year, $265 each, mounted, balanced, out the door.

I rotate my tires so I only need to buy two tires every three years.

Baby’s got new shoes. – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

Thanks Waiter21 that's great advice!
profjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
If you have an RV dealer nearby, ask them where they get their tire work done. Many dealers farm out tire work.

I use a local truck tire place that my company deals with. They do a lot of MH tires for local RV dealers.. I bought two Roadmaster (Cooper) RM170 – 14 ply (245-70-R19.5) last year, $265 each, mounted, balanced, out the door.

I rotate my tires so I only need to buy two tires every three years.

Baby’s got new shoes. – 1999 Southwind 35S

Hi, I just read your link on tires. What balancing method is done? What decision was made to discard the two tires in that position?
BruceNeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What balancing method is done?
Spin, They spin them and add weights accordingly.

Quote:
What decision was made to discard the two tires in that position?
For the current rotation, I had two tires that were 2008, these got replaced. I now have four 2012's (on the rear) and two 2017's (on the front).

In a couple years, I'll buy two new tires and put them on the front. I'll move the current fronts to the rear, and two of the rears will go by-by.

When I rotate, I move the tires from one side to the other so that the tire is turning in the same direction.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You didn't mention the tire size, so hard to give reliable advice. Most coaches of that size & year use 16" LT (Light Truck) tires, so ought to be available at most any tires shop. Probably LT 225/75R16 size. If they can't put a tall Class C on their lift, they can still use a floor jack to lift enough to change tires. Even at Walmart. I would avoid any RV shop - high prices and mediocre work quality.

I'd probably be looking at brands like Cooper Discoverer Hankook Dynapro, General Grabber, or Yokahoma Geolander. all of which have good quality LT225/75R16's for around $125-$150 per tire.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Spin, They spin them and add weights accordingly.

For the current rotation, I had two tires that were 2008, these got replaced. I now have four 2012's (on the rear) and two 2017's (on the front).

In a couple years, I'll buy two new tires and put them on the front. I'll move the current fronts to the rear, and two of the rears will go by-by.

When I rotate, I move the tires from one side to the other so that the tire is turning in the same direction.
So, since all six of mine are the same age, what would you do? I do keep my tires covered when at all possible.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So, since all six of mine are the same age, what would you do? I do keep my tires covered when at all possible.
15 years is old... If I was faced with this, the way I use my MH, I'd slap 6 new tires on it..

However, if my usage was all local and I never got on the freeway or ran for any period of time at highway speeds,, I might consider 2 new tires on the steers.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
15 years is old... If I was faced with this, the way I use my MH, I'd slap 6 new tires on it..

However, if my usage was all local and I never got on the freeway or ran for any period of time at highway speeds,, I might consider 2 new tires on the steers.
They are only 2 years old. When ready, what would be your plan to start the rotation?

Tags
advice