Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #1

Tire age-out?

Assume no noticeable poor tread wear, signs of cupping, etc. How many years before auto replacement? 5 yrs?, 6 yrs?, 7 yrs?
topnotchnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We went 9. I consistently treat tires with 303 Protectant, I have wheel covers & the coach is stored in an RV port.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If tires to you are just round black things. you should probably err of the side of caution and go with 6-7 years. In my opinion, 7 tears is plenty safe. With care, which mostly means staying aware of tire condition and watching for uneven wear, developing cracks, etc, 10 years is achievable. I don't know if any tire manufacturer who recommends more.

Michelin has good advice in their RV Tire Guide. Whether using their brand or another. See https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

Also https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...e_RV_Tires.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Went 9 years with the present rig. The old tires looked great both inside and out.
All Michelins BTW.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #5

...as important as exterior condition [eg sidewall and tread wear] is for judging tire aging...its really what's going on internally that matters the most. Excessive damage from under inflation, curb strikes, internal band moisture, etc, are pretty much invisible from the exterior. If you read the fine print from most manufacturers, you will find they "recommend" internal tire inspections by trained tire technicians once the tires are out of warranty. R&R and tire/rim breakdown for internal inspection every year will quickly eat into the money you are "saving" by stretching service life to ten years. All said, it amazes me how much people are willing to pay for a new rig but then worry about MPG or tire age--"choose wisely grasshopper" your family is counting on your decisions.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotchnwv View Post
Assume no noticeable poor tread wear, signs of cupping, etc. How many years before auto replacement? 5 yrs?, 6 yrs?, 7 yrs?
Just curious - how many Know the Age of the Tires on the Car you Drive everyday .

A vast majority - if the Mileage is Low - are the Original Equipment tires that came on the Vehicle. - Just saying .................

FYI - average age of the cars on the road is 11.6 years ..............

Last tires I traded out at 14+ years - then sold them to a yard Truck Guy that Loved them because of the tread Left.

Most important thing to do before driving is to check the tires Air Pressure - IMHO - if you are adding Air then you should look to replace - in My 40 + years in Heavy trucks we never had an Age related Failure, and we hauled Heavy loads.

Again - IMHO - do What YOU feel Safe not what I feel is Safe.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #7

It appears that the MH I just purchased had retread tires on them for the last 3 years and the owner indicated no issues but he also had very short trips (less than 3 hours) and only put 6-8k miles on it in 3 years.

I want to put new tires on it, but need tire advice. I have Michelin's on our car (that we're selling so we can buy a toad since it's not 4-down towable) and love the ride we get, but I know truck/commercial/RV tires are a different beast.

The tire size on there now are 245/70R/19.5. Should I stick with that size or is there some flexibility in sidewall thickness (should i do thicker?). It's a 208" wheelbase for a 34.8 footer, where the same make at 35.8 is a 228" wheelbase, presumably providing a more stable ride? How can I compensate with tires for the shorter wheelbase or can I? Should I also add a front stabilizer bar?
Servo is offline   Reply With Quote