Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Top of slide collects water and then gives you a bath later

Has this happened to you?

This has happened to me twice. (LOL)
Level the coach
Slides out
Camp several days
Pull slides in
Raise jacks
Drive until first stoplight.
Water on top of slide runs forward and gives me a bath
I suspect that the water is from the A/C system and collects on the slide instead of running down the side of the coach onto the ground.

It' a rather rude but funny wake up!
Any ideas
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It rains a lot in Oregon and also the wind blows water under the topper. After the first couple of cold showers I learned to tilt the coach and let the water drain off the top before retracting the slides.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It hasn't happened to us with our coach (it has slide toppers & better seals I guess) but did with our previous 5-r, which did not have toppers. My job was to towel dry the top of the slides, after they were retracted, to get off any water the seals didn't squeegie off.

You could try, before breaking camp, leaving the back setting on the tires & raise the front up with the jacks to get the water to shed off the back. We normally park nose high just a bit for roof run off anyway (also helps the shower drain as it's positioned rearward in the pan).

Lori-

HA, Brian beat me to that suggestion.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I pick up camp after a heavy or blowing rain, I bring in the slide then set a rolled towel on top before raising the levelers. Keeps me and the floor dry but the towel gets a little wet.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the exact same problem. Even with slide toppers, the coach is so level that the water just sits in the gutter track and slowly seeps through the topper. I noticed that if I let it auto level and then bring the front back down just ever so slightly, that it eliminates the problem. It's still really annoying and I wish there was a way to plumb the A/C drains somewhere and avoid this altogether.

2017 Coachmen Cross Country 407FW
rcarpe06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #6

Oh Yeah!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Yes, that is common, as confirmed with others that own the same coach we do. Even the condensation from the AC units can sometimes accumulate on top of our full wall slide and give me a "surprise", if I don't deal with it. There's a lot of real estate up there and it doesn't surprise me that it has a low spot somewhere that will allow water to pool. Disappointing yes, but surprising no.

Before I retract the slides and the jacks I manually lift the front of the coach a few inches for about a minute and let the water drain off the back, then retract the slides, then the jacks.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #8

On our Discovery the full wall slide topper they (Fleetwood) runs a screw down thru the gutter channel to secure the topper but block the gutter! Go figure.

Learned the hard way about water pooling on the topper. Pulled the slide in Anne about a gallon of water ran off the backside after it was in.
Next time I'm using the from jacks to drain it off before bringing in the slide.!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
It rains a lot in Oregon and also the wind blows water under the topper. After the first couple of cold showers I learned to tilt the coach and let the water drain off the top before retracting the slides.
We also copy Lori's set up, slightly nose high stops a lot of potential probs with rain. We've never had the slideout "bath"
Old 09-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #10

We have a similar problem with our '08 Bounder. Except ours will leak when it rains.
We have applied silicone sealer to the edges of the slide out roof to prevent the leaks.
But we are getting tired of having to reseal it every other year. The water causes the slide topper fabric to sag near the front of the slide. The water then pools on the slide and eventually leaks into the living area. We've been told our topper tube is bent and should have had a cradle support in the middle. But according to A&E the cradle would not prevent the pooling.
Can anyone here help with this problem?
Tomboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Move to where is does not rain....
Or get a free bath...
Old 09-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #12

Not only happens in a Bounder.
So far, has only happened once. I'm a quick learner when it comes to icy-cold showers
Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I guess we've been lucky (or good ) as have never had this issue on our 5'er or the coach (yet!)

but, we always lifted one side or the other and let gravity do it's thing before pulling slides in.

I may be dreaming but think the Monaco has a drain system that not only runs it off the roof, but UNDER the coach as the runoff I have seen has been under the coach and not down the sides!?!

On previous rv's we didn't have slides
but when we got our first TT with one, I ended up putting a 'channel' on top the roof to direct the runoff away from the slide... didn't help ALL the time, but was my effort to defeat the issue!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I retract either the front or rear jacks to drain any water that has collected before retracting the slides. Works every time.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, water