RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #1

Towing 24ft trailer with 2015 Fleetwood 4G

Hi Guys and Gals,

My wife and I just took possession of our new to us 2015 40G. We absolutley love the coach so far and are excited to start using it to travel to Kart races with the kids.

I wanted to ask for any tips of towing 24ft trailer with a unit this large ? I had a class A CDL years ago when I was working through university but haven't driven anything this large in a long time so a little nervous as we plan to leave Houston area and head up to Denton for race in 2 weeks. Is it possible to make turns on single lane roads with a unit this big ? lol I know I'll be fine on the interstate but the area leaving our community is making me nervous.

Secondly I need to put a trailer brake controller in the coach. Can anyone give me some advice on this ? I have a Prodigy controller new in the box I plan to use. Is the wiring for this run up to the dash area from the trailer plug or do I need to run new wiring the entire length of the unit ?

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
Travis.

Travismc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

I have a 2014 40G (41'4"). I tow my 24-foot box trailer around all the time. Remember a 24 foot trailer normally has additional tongue length of about 4', so that plus the receiver your total length will be over 69'. Which is longer than semis and not legal in all states, including my home state here in California.

Towing the trailer is not a problem at all on normal city streets and highways. On tight right turns make sure you go wide if turning into a single Lane. The main thing you'll have to worry about is your gas station stops, small tight gas stations are a pain to maneuver in.

Brake controller is a simple project, there's a connector underneath the steering column. You could buy freightliner adapter, but you'll still have to splice into the brake controller pigtail, so I just cut the connector off and crimped it straight to the brake controller pigtail to save the $30.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_110821.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	239632Click image for larger version

Name:	1553711122484.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	239633

Nathan951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just pulling a car is a pain in tight right turns with my 40E. Small fueling stations, no way, especially if pumps are perpendicular to building. I look for independent diesel stations or large car pump islands.

Tags
towing, fleetwood, tow, trailer